Cooking With Kids

I enjoying baking and cooking meals with my kids. This morning DD (age 7) & I made shaped Halloween cookies. My oldest (now in 5th grade) has occasionally helped me make dinner since last school year - he even has one recipe he makes all by himself (Chicken Divan), except for the cutting up the raw chicken breast.

Do you like cooking with your kids? Do you have any meal recipes in which your kids can make it almost entirely by themselves?

flatlanderjenn

Asked by flatlanderjenn at 12:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• My kids are older (ages 10 to 23). I started working in the kitchen with them at about 3 yrs old. They're now capable of following recipes, cutting up meats & veggies, preparing oven meals, making various baked goods, even cooking on the stovetop. My 10 and 13 yr olds are capable of making bread on their own and the 13 yr old just mastered making tortillas from scratch last week. My 21 yr old son enjoys cooking and grilling and will often prepare a full meal for everyone.

I love that you're all encouraging your children in the kitchen!
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes! We do a lot of homeschooling lessons in the kitchen. DS learns great life, science, and math skills. I am always searching for cool kids recipes and recipe books. =)
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 12:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We like to bake cookies and cakes together. My oldest is 12 and has cooked all on her own for about a year now. She loves to make breakfast on the weekends for everyone. Her specialty is scrambled eggs!
    mochamomof3

Answer by mochamomof3 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• He loves to help me empty the DW and put away groceries.
    No cooking yet, but I expect w/i the next few months we'll be
    making cakes and cookies together.

He can help me pour and measure, and stir a bit with a spoon.
    My granny taught me this way, and those are some of the best
    memories I have.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 2:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my kids love to help in the kitchen, but it stresses me out so they cook the dh. but their favorite thing to make is pancakes
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 12:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I love to cook with my children. not hey can not cook a meal yet by themselves. They are too young
    Raeann11

Answer by Raeann11 at 12:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We have a lettuce knife (basically an oversized plastic knife) and let DS do a lot with that. Anything like omelets or pancakes he can do, but we don't let him use the stovetop yet. He gets to choose and cut his own ingredients, though.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 12:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Sometimes..they always want to help...and i think its great..i like to mostly do baking with them..but when it comes to dinner's i would rather do myself..my youngest wants to cut things ect..ect...and it makes me nervous and my daughters are the same way..i let them do a little and they want to do more and more that involves cutting it just scares me..lol..but sticking with the baking really is best with us..lol...and we always have fun doing it together!! ♥
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 1:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My kids have always loved to cook. They have been cracking eggs since they were 2. They mostly bake. Usually when I'm making dinner I'm in a rush.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't let the kids use the stove/cooktop/oven either. DS arranges everything for the chicken divan in the casserole dish so I can put it in the oven.
    flatlanderjenn

Comment by flatlanderjenn (original poster) at 1:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010