Another question made me think of this. Can men and women ever be just friends?

Just friends? I mean I have a guy who is my friend and there is no sex involved nor is there any possible chance of there being sex invloved. (Yuck!) So I think it's possible.

GinNTonic

Asked by GinNTonic at 12:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Relationships

• Anything is possible, but hormones sometimes get in the way.

Answer by older at 12:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes, but I think it rarely happens.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 12:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Sure!! I have 5 best friends- ones I see every single day and I talk about everything with (yes, even sex)- and the 3 of them are guys. One of them is the father of my daughter, but the other two are like brothers to me! And my DD's dad and I are just friends now. We were never in a relationship and we never will be!
    mygirlpaige

Answer by mygirlpaige at 12:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• it honestly depends on the person. but i believe its possible.
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 12:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have a handful of platonic guy friends but I wouldnt consider them bff's. The one guy bff I have is an ex boyfriend. I lost a lot of guy friends when SO and I got serious, and it really showed me what they were after.
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 12:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It's possible, but very difficult. Most of the time if there's enough connection between a man and a woman to be friends, at least one of them will have other feelings. Good luck!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 12:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i think so i was great friends with a guy for yrs..we never wanted or tried to date each other..we were friends and that is all..i think its very possable..as long as no one has feelings for each other besides friend feelings..lol
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 12:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yeah my friend and I already covered that possibility of one of us having feelings for the other and we both know it will never happen. I like him as a friend but he'd be a terrible person to be in a relationship with. Actually, we did date in 8th grade so I KNOW he wouldn't be the best person to be in a relationship with. Which is why the risk of that happening is not very high.
    GinNTonic

Comment by GinNTonic (original poster) at 1:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• sure do. but as i get older, i feel the need for friends more like me - married, with children, work outside the home - so they can understand what you are going through.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 1:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i've always had more guy-friends than girl-friends. i just get along with guys better than girls. girls can be nasty creatures to each other; if you've established that sex is not part of the deal, a man can accept that. women, on the other hand, will fight tooth and nail with each other to 'get a leg up' (no pun intended) over another woman, just to sooth her own insecurities. she may not even want that guy, but you can bet, if some other gal shows interest...BAM! ITS ON!
    women crack me up.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2010