Mommy I want...

a dress. What would you say to your son? If you would say no, why?

purpleducky

Asked by purpleducky at 1:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• no because dresses are for girls to wear, you could tell him his legs would get chilly in a dress
    My_o_me_x_3

Answer by My_o_me_x_3 at 1:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My - I don't care. Both my sons have dresses because I don't believe in pushing gender roles. I was just randomly asking. And boys used to wear dresses just like girls do nowadays.
    purpleducky

Comment by purpleducky (original poster) at 1:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would say "Dresses are for girls, boys do not wear dresses". Then again it would depend on how old he is too. If he was close to teen years I would have a talk with him about his sexuality.

Answer by louise2 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I'd buy him a kilt if I could find one his size. That would be cute.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 1:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We only had daughters but our son would not be wearing dresses. I know it was customary for boys to wear them in the past, but now it's not the norm.  I would explain how those were girl clothes and not boy clothes.

scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 1:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would say no. Dresses are for girls. Kids would make fun of him mercilessly. It's my job as a parent to help him make wise choices.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 1:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i would prob say no..and explain to him that dress's are for little girls and that he could have some pant's /short's maybe new pj's or something..lol..
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I only have boys, and no I would not buy them a dress. If their cousins were over and had a dress with them I could care less if my sons wore it. But I am not buying one for them, then the next question is why can't I were my dress outside of the house. Nope, they are for girls. Playing is okay owning is not. (with me)
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Haha if he wanted to wear it around the house why not. He probably will end up wearing one if his two sisters have anything to do with it! In public though, no, people are just a-holes and rude these days and I don't want my child to get picked on or bullied.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i'd tell him no.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 1:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2010