Is this what we have to look forward to?

France has a plan that involves raising the retirement age to 62. All hell is breaking loose over there, protests, fuel shortages, garbage uncollected because of strikes catching fire.

If we don't fix social security, is this what we have to look forward to? What is the solution?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 1:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I thought here in the US that Retirement is that already? Does it differ from your job? My dads job is at 62 and my dads pissed because they are thinking on raising it to 68.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

_______________________________
    It's sixty five to collect full social security right now, as of 1983, I believe. Raising the age is one of the thoughts on the table to deal with the growing shortage in social security funding.
    lovinangels

Comment by lovinangels (original poster) at 1:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• THANKS FOR THE INFO! Didn't know that.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 1:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We may, though to be honest, I have never considered that I would have social security in any form, at any age. If there is anything left there 30 years from now, I'll consider it an unexpected bonus.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 1:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with NP. We aren't counting on SS being available when either of us hit retirement age, so we are simply saving for ourselves. We pull the same amount the gubmint does and tuck it away.

The main difference is that no one else CAN take it away or spend it on something else ~ and it isn't invested for others to play with or lose. I don't think relying on the gubmint for anything is a wise choice for anyone to make at this point. We're not even sure we can count on DH military retirement to continue the way things stand.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 3:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The thing that people HAVE to keep in mind with social security is that the money taken from earned income for ss today pays ss today. When in my case, 2040 I am retirement age, the ss paid in at that time will fund my checks at that time. For more information go to www.socialsecurity.gov

Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Nah, the French like to protest. THey're always doing that. I doubt it'll catch on here.
    SuperChicken

Answer by SuperChicken at 5:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We have been warned for years to make our own investments - the present social security system will not support the influx of baby boomer retirees. The French have lived an "oo la la" life for quite some time, not surprising they want to keep it that way.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2010