When did your child give up naps?

My son is two, and he has only taken a few naps in the past couple months. He used to be pretty good about taking them for anywhere from 1-3 hours a day, but he's always been the type to fight sleep--even as an infant. He usually yawns around lunchtime and has meltdowns from being exhausted at dinner, so I think he still NEEDS the nap. I could use a break in the middle of the day, and I know he could use more sleep--he just fights it. We just put him to bed early when he skips them, but that makes it hard to go places in the evening. If he would do quiet time, that would be something, but he usually won't do that either. It's driving me crazy! I have friends with 3 and 5 years old who still nap, so I thought he would nap until at least age 3 or 4. I'm going to keep trying for naps/quiet time most days, but it doesn't look promising so far.

pam19

Asked by pam19 at 1:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• My two gave up their naps at the age of 2
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 4:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My two and a half year old is kind of back and forth sometimes he naps sometimes he doesn't. My ten month old still naps a lot tho.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• when my 5 yr old turned 4 it was harder and harder to get him to take naps..but i would still make him lay down for at least 30-40 minutes each day even if he feel asleep or not..he is now 5 and doesn't want to take any naps thow i wish he would at times..i still try to get him to lay down but it's more of a challenge sometimes..so by bedtime when he finally lays his head down he's out for the night..lol
    gracelessstar21

Answer by gracelessstar21 at 1:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my 5 yr old dd still takes a nap sometimes. i think kids need naps for awhile even if they dont want it. but each kid is different
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 1:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think he's going to skip his nap again today, and he only stayed in his room for a little while. He just said something really cute though. I asked if he was going to take his nap today, and he said, "No, wake up in the morning". I said it was good to sleep in the middle of the day too, and he said, "No, wake up in the morning. Mommy wake up in the morning too." I just didn't expect naps to be so unpredictable this early. *Sigh*
    pam19

Comment by pam19 (original poster) at 2:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My 3 year old still naps 2-3 hours a day and so does my 17 1/2 month old
    Bugbait

Answer by Bugbait at 3:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2010