Is it true?

If I had a C-section with my first baby, does that mean I will have a C-sectiom with my second baby? Many people have told me that once you get a csection they will all be csections and you can only have 3.

jessi1414

Asked by jessi1414 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Thats what I've heard as well.
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I found a doctor willing to let me attempt a VBAC this time around.
    kksmomma1019

Answer by kksmomma1019 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• That depends on YOUR doctor and hospital and YOUR particular case. Like why you had a c section to begin with, was it an emergency from high BP or something or do you have a condition that makes it so you cant deliver vaginally. I know tons of people that have delivered vaginal after cesarean. My mom is one. I was a c section and my sister was vaginal (almost a c section, she finally crowned on the way to the or). I had a c section cause my sons head was too big. I have got 2 opinions on the matter and they both say i will have a c section next time because my pelvis is too low. His head couldnt even fit in there. Same thing with my mom. My sis was 6lb and was dead stuck in her pelvis. My first son was 8lb 8oz a week early, i dont think ill have a 6lb baby next time..lol..So they are pretty sure my next is c section. My doc and hospital allow vaginal after cesarean, but not in my case. It all depends on you and your doc rules.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 2:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• NO.

It is SAFER to avoid a cesarean unless it's medically needed-an emergency.
    Even if you've already had cesarean(s).

Many women do have more than 3 cesareans, too, btw.

If you have a surgeon (OB) to attend your normal vaginal delivery it will increase your risk for a cesarean birth.
    Having a normal birth specialist (midwife) increases your chances to birth normally.

I can offer plenty of info~ but you can also check out ICAN (online / meetings) for a lot of helpful info.
    Let me know if you'd like resources!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 3:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• You have to know your labor history and reason for csection the first time before doing a vbac but many women are able to also my nicu burse had 6 cesection so 3 is just a guideline number they give you saying that's what they suggest and is the safest
    Kre10

Answer by Kre10 at 3:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• you can possibly try for a Vbac my first was a c section i tried a v bac but failed. my third i was given the option to try again but no way i have failure to progress so why bother
    Angelknot8

Answer by Angelknot8 at 4:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have a friend who has had 5 C-sections... her doctor is a High-risk Perinatologist who takes extra care to ensure she will be able to continue having children.. and c-sections.

Talk to your doctor. If you don't like his/her answer, get a second opinion.
    wenchmommy381

Answer by wenchmommy381 at 4:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• No that's not true
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 4:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• "no way i have failure to progress so why bother "

Because "Failure To Progress" is a term/diagnosis made up by the attendant.
    What is "FTP" with one doctor is just a natural, built-in break to another.

With great encouragement and support, a woman can be helped through this time and avoid unnecessary interventions.

You may do as you wish, of course!
    But know that who you hire to help you through your labor will have immense impact on the outcome.
    (And if you truly believe you can not do it then you won't.)

;- /

doulala

Answer by doulala at 4:33 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My oldest friends tried having a v-back, but ended up having a c-section the doctor looked at the tissue lining the stomach and said she could have another if she wanted. SO I would talk to you OBGYN.
    DevilInPigtails

Answer by DevilInPigtails at 5:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010