Is it far to make the kids clean up after the puppy???

We just got a puppy about 2 weeks ago and my my BF thinks that the kids should pick up the puppy poop in the yard. I'm not sure I feel that way too. They feed the puppy and take outside everytime we tell them to but I'm not sure if they should be the only ones cleaning up the yard. They are only 3 and 5.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Pets

• I think it will teach them responsibility. But I also feel that them picking up poop may be a bit much. Instead why not have them walk the puppy and/or feed it.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 2:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Not at that age, no. My kids had 2 dogs when they were that age, and their responsibilities were feeding them and making sure they played with them enough and gave them exercise. I cleaned up the poop because I just don't think a 3 and 5 year old should clean that up. Now, if they were like 8 and 10 I'd say yeah have them clean up after their dogs lol.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 2:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• No not yet they are too young. What he can do is take them out side and help them pick it up with a scooper pooper or a small rake andshow them how and every time that the dog poop he needs to be the responible adult and show them and teach them
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• No I dont think its a good idea at all. Especially if your dog hasnt been wormed.. being so young some breeders tend to not fully worm their bitches (female term, not swearing here) so the medicine wont pass through their milk to the pups. If that is the case they are not guranteed to be worm free. Children are more likely to pick up worms then adults. You wouldnt want your kid getting tape worm or round worm because they didnt wash their hands properly after picking up the dogs poo with a bag? I know so much about worms.. I unfortunately bought a store dog and it was riddled with round worm.. took me 3 months to fully clear them of worms not to mention a 1000 (aus) vet bill . But dont worry it wont pass if your pregnant ( i was pregnant at the time i got my dog). I dont think kids shoudl be given that responsibility. but in the end its up to you .
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 2:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't think at that age they should be picking up poop after a dog. Yes, they need to learn to take care of the dog and learn responsibility but there's other ways like feeding her and playing with her.
    mommareynolds09

Answer by mommareynolds09 at 2:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Hey! I was picking up dog AND cat poop by the age of 5. It's not going to hurt them, that's why you make them wash their hands afterward. There's no better time to teach them responsibility than when they are fairly young. Otherwise they'll be lazy.
    GinNTonic

Answer by GinNTonic at 2:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• YES!
    xtatianax

Answer by xtatianax at 4:30 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Maybe not the only ones picking up the yard, but certainly they can help. I always made it a game with my daughter when she was little - it was like a "treasure hunt" (of course we used a poop scoop with a long handle and a bucket so she didn't get too close to the poop). She is 19 now and mentioned the other day that she always thought that poop scooping was fun !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 4:44 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Being a dog breeder, I felt I needed to correct something in Weldo1983's answer - you didn't say how old the pup was, so I am assuming that she did not read the question quite right and that the puppy is not 2 weeks old - it is actually illegal in any state to let a puppy go to a new home without its mother under 6weeks (and in most, it is 8 weeks). We don't actually worm the mothers to get rid of the worms in the puppies, although that does help. We do start worming puppies at 4 weeks old and worm every 2 weeks until around 16 weeks old (if we still have them). Even if you got the puppy from a good breeder, sometimes we run into worms that are resistant to the wormer meds, but it doesn't happen often. Pet stores and puppy mill puppies are definitely different. Just be careful - use a long handled poop scoop and a bucket with young kids, not a plastic bag or anything where they might touch it, that's all.
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 4:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2010