Who should talk to who?

This might sound gross. I ran out of tampons & sent my dh to the store. When he came back (not thinking) he slid them aacross the dr table & before we knew it, our 9 yr. old dd asked what they were for (as I told him she would) so he took her in2 the kitchen and gave her the basics and all I heard was EWWWW. I then tried to have "the talk" to our 10 yr. old ds but I don't think he was ready because he kind of avoided it, so I backed off. I know we need to have this talk soon (and am trying to prepare myself as I know it will be difficult), but should we both talk to each of them together, should he talk to our ds and I talk to our dd or vice-versa?

LovingParent08

Asked by LovingParent08 at 11:45 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• Sorry to repost, I meant to reply to the answer and deleted it by mistake.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:46 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• I would talk as parents to the kids seperately. It's hard enough without the sibling in the room. JMO
    Maddape48854

Answer by Maddape48854 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• That's what I was thinking, but wanted to get some other mom's opinions who have either had this talk already or going to soon.
    LovingParent08

Answer by LovingParent08 at 11:53 PM on Oct. 27, 2008

• Lol I'm letting my hubby take care of our son, and if we have a girl, I'll talk to her.
    MarlyeGirl

Answer by MarlyeGirl at 12:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My thing with my eldest is to be open and honest at all times. I let him approach me first and I got a really great book for him by USBORNE called Whats happening to me? Its a great book. They do one for boys and girls. I would rather my son know all the facts from me and be prepared for all the talk that goes on in schools.
    Britmum72

Answer by Britmum72 at 12:44 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think you should sit down with your DD, and your hubby should sit down with DS, and then you should SWITCH. Give your DS the opportunity to ask questions about females without feeling uncomfortable and vice versa. I don't think it should be just one "talk" but sex and gender specific subjects (like tampons) should be something you address often. Your children are very young, and will need more information the more they mature and come to understand.
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:28 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think the best place for the conversation is in the car. You have their undivided attention but they don't have to look directly at you and hopefully that lessens their embarassment.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 6:58 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Parents are still doing "the talk"? What happened to making it part of everyday life. I was pregnant with my second when my daughter was 9. We watched birth videos together during lunch all summer. Now she is grown and tells me things I don't want to hear. My husband is in charge of the major stuff with the boys, but I chime in with little facts and tidbits, especially when we are watching TV and the commercials or the content lend themselves to further explanation.  These are afterall the same children who used to run naked through the house after a bath and cheer at potty training time.  Girls need to know by 10 at the lastest and boys need to know by 12 so you better hurry up and start having lots of little talks.

LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 11:45 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I agree, the "talk" is just common place around our house....we talk about what ever comes up at the time. I would rather my daughter feel like she is normal for having questions, feelings, etc and is able to talk about them with whoever she feels comfortable with (dad or me of course).
    Anonymous

• I only talked to my girls about women things.As for sons there was no father to teach him the only talk I gave him was to respect an never hit girls.An that was at a young age.WHen he was getting older I got a box of condoms an open them up laid them on his bed an inside the box is the directions on the box.SO he could see them.Months later he thanked me.That was end of story.Tampons are a girl subject,I may not be right but thats what I did .
    fearful5

Answer by fearful5 at 2:29 PM on Oct. 29, 2008