Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

Child support and inheritance?

I am supposed to be receiving a decent sized inheritance with in the next year after everything goes through the court process. My question is can my SD's birth mom try and take any of it for child support because of my husband and I being married? And what about if I was ever to win anything in the lottery from a ticket I bought.

Answer Question

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

Answers (5)
  • At least in my state, unless you have adopted her, the child support is your husband's responsibility only. Your finances don't enter into it at all. You would really need to check with someone in your own state. You can call child support office, whatever legal office is used in your state. And they should be able to give you some answers.

    Answer by SweetLuci at 2:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • yea it is your husbands responsibility, when me and my ex went to court after he married my kids step mom a couple months after we split. they only counted his income. so you should be safe but to make sure you can always go to a free lawyer consultation. most attorneys allow you to come to them for a free consultation at least here in texas they do.

    Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 2:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • It should belong to your children and shame on them for trying to touch it

    Answer by peace013 at 3:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • no she cant.. but if he isnt paying child support or is really behind would you give it to him to pay or catch up? those are his children too

    Answer by Ross2010 at 7:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

  • well, i say those are his children too.. but i dont know the situation. if he doesnt want to pay or doesnt care to then he could sign his rights away and unless she is a total B then she should leave you guys alone about child support.. i am just saying this because my ex has nothing to do with our daughter.. once was going to sign his rights away but wouldnt bc thats what i wanted and what would be best for her (HIS WORDS) so i dont think she is his child (bio yea but not is daughter.. imo) so if he didnt want to pay.. or wanted would sign his rights away then i would be more than happy and wouldnt care about the money.. i dont now other than to prove more (than just his not seeing her or calling her etc) that he has no concern of her well being or about her at all.

    Answer by Ross2010 at 7:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.