Do you bake bread. If so, do you have a simple recipe?

It could either be bread machine or old fashioned oven.

SweetLuci

Asked by SweetLuci at 2:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Food & Drink

• Take two cups very warm water, put in mixing bowl. Add 1/4 cup honey and 1 1/2 tablespoons of yeast. Let sit for about 10 minutes until bubbly/creamy. Add 4 cups flour, 1/4 cup melted butter and 1 1/2 teaspoons of salt. Use dough hook to blend together. Once blended, add another 2 cups flour and "knead" with dough hook until nice and elastic. Lift out dough, spray mixing bowl with cooking spray, set dough in and flip (so it's all coated). Cover with plastic wrap and let rise until about double. Punch down, divide into two loaves, let rise and bake at 350 for 28 minutes. I always use the bottom rack so the top of the loaf doesn't get too brown.
    I use this recipe for rolls (just divide into balls instead of lumps), cinnamon bread (flatten one loaf into rectangle, sprinkle w/ water, add cinnamon/sugar (I've been using about 1/2 cup sugar with a tablespoon or so of cinnamon, but you can vary to taste), and roll).
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 11:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Web site instcuctable
    dorotheabrown37

Answer by dorotheabrown37 at 3:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I use a bread machine all the time! I got my favorite recipe out of the Better Homes and Gardens cookbook. I think every cook should have one.
    wenchmommy381

Answer by wenchmommy381 at 4:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I've turned into an Artisan in 5 minute convert, and their recipe is so convenient I don't experiment nearly as much with "normal" recipes anymore.  They put a lot of their recipes on the blog, and the cookbook is worth at least checking out at your library if you don't want to commit to it:

http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com/

NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 5:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I just read on in the Nov issue of Food and wine, called Crusty white bread. You bake in a cast iron pot with lid. YOu can probably get it at their website. if you can't pull up, PM me and I'll send you the recipe. I'm trying it tomorrow. Looks pretty easy, article was titled "shortcut bread'
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I bake all of our breads, rolls, buns, etc. Here's my family's favorite bread recipe, they won't eat store bread anymore:

Rice Bread:

1/2 cup cooked white or brown rice
    1 1/2 Tbsp. (1 Tbsp. + 1 1/2 tsp.) vegetable or canola oil
    Put these two ingredients in a 2 cup measuring cup and add enough warm water to make 1 1/2 c. Dump into bread machine pan or mixing bowl.
    Add:
    2 Tbsp. sugar
    2 tsp. salt
    3 cups all purpose flour (I've used unbleached or whole wheat, even a mix of both)
    1 1/2 tsp. active dry yeast.

If using a bread machine, set to desired setting and start. I prefer to use the dough cycle then take the dough out and *form a loaf, let rise in my bread pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
    If using a stand mixer, add the flour last, cup by cup. If mixing by hand I will also add the flour at the last and then knead for 6 to 8 minutes before letting it rise, covered, in a greased bowl until doubled.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• cont.
    Form a loaf, let rise in loaf pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 9:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2010