Child support and inheritance??

I am supposed to be receiving a decent sized inheritance with in the next year after everything goes through the court process. My question is can my SD's birth mom try and take any of it for child support because of my husband and I being married? And what about if I was ever to win anything in the lottery from a ticket I bought.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Parenting Debate

• Yes & no. NO=if you dont put it into an joint account. Keep it separate. You can spend it however you want as long as you dont allow your husband ownership of any of it. Then thats where the YES= come it. If he takes ownership in anyway then it is viewed as an income and he will be responsible for paying child support on it...IF the other party files, that is for a child support hearing due to the increased income and it can be shown as an income. Check with an accountant as to how to handle this regarding income taxes ... that is where it will trip you up.
    lacyjones

Answer by lacyjones at 2:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It really depends on your state. Some states consider all inheritance as income and some only consider the income that you make from the inheritace as income. Also it depends on how the state views assets.
    seturkey

Answer by seturkey at 2:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• No, the ex wife can not touch your inheritance, as inheritance is NOT joint property. Now if you were to win the lottery, then yes, it is considered joint property, and it can be considered in child support cases.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Probably not, but I wish she could. You are going to have the benefit of a sizable inheritance and you begrudge your husband's child the same standard of living you have? Gross.
    annabellelee

Answer by annabellelee at 4:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

***************************************************
    Asuming there are visitations then the SD will benifit the same as the rest of the family. But it will be @ poster's and her DH's discresion. Not just given to the ex to do with as she see's fit. Unfortunately too often children never see thier support checks.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 4:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• If the inheritance is yours, depends on your state laws. this is something an attorney would need to help you with.
    DeBee13

Answer by DeBee13 at 6:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My ex husband died a year and a half ago, he never changed his will to benefit his new wife, so I got the money... even SHE couldnt legally force me to share it with her.
    They had a child together so we made arrangements that were fair to all of the kids, but that was because Im a decent person not because I was legally forced to.
    Cara5

Answer by Cara5 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My dad died and left me money...my SD mom never even mentioned the money. It is not hers, nor her childs. Is he behind on child support? She still can't take it...it is your money, from your family.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 10:07 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• This will depend on state specific family law. I would invest some in consulting with a lawyer to find out.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 11:58 AM on Oct. 18, 2010

• Im not sure where you live, but in the state I live in, the spouses "income" is added into the bio parents income. I do not know that "winnings" can be attacked for child support, but in the courts eyes, what his is your and whats your is his.
    icn_mom

Answer by icn_mom at 2:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2010