Agree or disagree? Isaac Asimov

‎"Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'" — Isaac Asimov

MamaK88

Asked by MamaK88 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Your quote inspired me to look deeper into who Isaac Asimov is--I knew him to be a writer of science fiction, which is not a genre I generally read, so I wasn't very familiar with the man.  What I learned is fascinating.  He was an incredible man, a humanist with great depth and intelligence.  For anyone who's interested, here is an essay about him.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Is that the full quote, or is it part of a larger body of work? I don't want to go on record as agreeing with a guy who in the next six sentences advocates for something like population control.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• there is not a vessel large enough to contain my agreement.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I'm at risk of whiplash from nodding my head so vigorously at this statement.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• js, until I started reading scifi I thought it was cold and all about whizbang technology, but the best of it is VERY humanistic and philisophical, grappling with the big questions.

Heinlein, Huxley and Bradbury are great, too, and I just read a fantastic book, more futuristic distopia than flat out sci-fi, but very much worth the read: The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 11:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Interesting quote, I too would have to read more about him and his beliefs. Thanks jsbenkert for the further info ...
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 11:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• AGree.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• WOW that is a great quote. Sums up lots of my recent thoughts!
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 11:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• This invites a snarky remark about the Huffington Post, and similarly un-factual or selectively-factual sources of "information" ...
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 7:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010