Car vs teeth

Okay, I just recently found out I have a TON of damage in my teeth (no, I honestly didn't know). It will be about $10,000 to fix all of them and there's a specific tooth that's broke and infected that will be $2,222 to fix. I'm a SAHM by day and I work nights -- but my car just broke down today. I mean I will not drive it again, you couldn't pay me to! It wouldn't stop accelerating and I had to throw the car in park (it still tried to drive over the sidewalk) and turn it off for it to finally stop moving and smoke came out of the engine.

DH seems to think a 2nd car is more important than getting my tooth (or teeth for that matter) fixed. The kids and I are just fine being at home the majority of the time. We can walk anywhere in our town. The only thing we'd need a car for is the days we need to go to the doctor -- which we can take DH to work those days.

what would you do?

mommareynolds09

Asked by mommareynolds09 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• If you're fine with walking everywhere during the day, get your teeth fixed! I have a ton of damage in my teeth from my pregnancy, I'd love to be able to fix them now, but I have to wait until we get our tax returns. We only have one working vehicle at the moment and we make it work.
    ShadowRaven

Answer by ShadowRaven at 2:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Teeth. I'm in the same boat mouth-wise (except not that expensive!), but we have 2 decent working vehicles. If we had the money, I'd get my teeth worked on in an instant.
    Anonymous

• I would get my teeth fix. The car doesn't seem to be a necessity.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 5:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• So, a second car is not a need? You can get to work nights with just one car? If that's the case, your teeth are more important, specifically the one that's infected. Poor oral health and infections, and gingivitis can lead to health problems, systemic infections, cardiac problems, and quality of life problems down the line.
    Do without the car-if a second car is needed, buy an old beater that still is sturdy. OR get the car you have looked over by a mechanic and fix it.
    Get those teeth taken care of. Tell the dentist you want immediate concerns addressed first-specifically the infected teeth.
    romanceparty4u

Answer by romanceparty4u at 10:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i would rather walk, so i would choose teeth. you can become in amazing amouns of pain if you dont get them fixed.
    mywonderyears

Answer by mywonderyears at 12:20 AM on Oct. 17, 2010