21 months and doesnt listen!

My son doesnt listen when I say no. Is this normal or am I doing something wrong? Sometimes he will stop or pause but usually he does it anyway.
I put him in time out, spank him, take toys away, turn barney off, anything I can think of to get my point across- no means no!- and he still throws crap or purposely does things.

Idk what to do with him!

sassy_brizzy

Asked by sassy_brizzy at 2:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think it's normal for a toddler. Some days are really challenging, I know. If I find that's happening for us, I try to make sure I'm being consistent with time outs. Sometimes I feel like I'm giving too many warnings and not enough follow through. I try to change up the word NO with other words, like STOP or DANGER for example, so I don't overuse any one word. Sometimes telling him what TO DO whether than what NOT to do helps too. Like instead of telling him to not to stand on the couch, I'll tell him to sit on the couch. I'm not sure why, but it often works for us if it's a definite direction. If he doesn't follow the direction, then he gets a time out. If I find we are in this negative cycle where he's in trouble a lot trying to get our attention, I try to catch him doing good things and praise him for that, so it's not all negative reinforcement. This has been a tough year, and he's not even 2 1/2 yet.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 3:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010