for parents who buy thier kids TONS of holidays gifts, I have a question...

we make over 300,000 a year yet acorrding to MANY of the posts I read our children are deprived when it comes to Chirstmas gifts.

Our kids get ONE gift from 'Santa' . They are way beyond beliving, and they do get a gift from each sib... so in total 4 gifts. yet I see that there are parents who are getting their kids TONS of gifts.

So my question is..... how much do you make??? Or do you go into debt for Christmas? What lesson is this teaching your child? How do you justify THAT many gifts?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• I have to bump you for this question! It amazes me why some parents would go into debt and make the beginning of a new year so darn hard on themselves for a bunch of stuff that (especially depending on the age of the child) won't last while they are still trying to play catch up with expenses. It really doesn't matter how much you make it still doesn't make any sense to me. My children are grown now but when they were younger I bought them one thing they really wanted and maybe some warm attire to get them through the rest of the cold months. Now I just give basically one gift that I know they would appreciate and cherrish
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 2:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I do not go into debt. but i am i was a single mom for a while. and i could not just get my kids toys and things they like through out the year so i would save up money and spoil my kids as best as i could for christmas to make up for the rest of the year. I still never spent more than 200 divided by 3 kids. they each got a kinda big gift, some kind of clothing item that they needed, and the rest was small toys that i thaught they might like.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 2:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I'm a SAHM and my hubby makes a very good salary. Not $300K (or even half that), but very good nonetheless. We get our daughter 10-15 under-the-tree Christmas gifts every year. We give her a few of the most special gifts and Santa gives her the rest. We use a Christmas Club through hubby's work where money is taken from his paycheck every pay...that is the money we use to pay for her Christmas gifts.

I don't think you "deprive" your children, but I do wonder if they are questioning why they aren't getting any gifts from their parents.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We make about 55,000 a year and the kids are getting one present each this year. They don't even care and are actually having fun trying to decide what that one will be. They also get gifts at their grandparents houses.

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 2:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't go in debt, never have and never will. They get what they really want. It usually is grouped together with girls wanting barbies this year or dolls or baking, jewllery and the boys cars, trucks, hot wheel, video consoles, music. All age appropriate gifts and all within my means. Other holidays throughout the year are really low key with the amount spent.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 2:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I will get my kids one gift, (that I know they really want or need), and we go on a family vacation. We see the holiday as a time for family bonding not really gift giving.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 3:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have never spent a lot on Christmas and I have 1 child!! Christmas isn't about how much mone or how many presents a kid gets. You are not depriving your kids, I am sure they are well loved and taken care of. My son gets 1 big gift and clothes and smaller gifts and I spend less than $300. Some years, I didn't even spend that much.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• AllAboutKeeley.... 4 gifts.... 1 Santa, 2 sibs, 1 parent

Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 3:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We do not go overboard. Our kids usually get 4-5 gifts under the tree. But they also get a huge number of gifts at each Grandma's house.
    Our favorite thing is the stockings. I buy all kinds of cheap crap to fill them up with. It is the joy of opening the stuff that we love. So I wrap everything in the stockings. I will wrap each pencil, each eraser, each mini playdough can, each little ball or whistle. LOL!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 3:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• also you don't have to spend a ton of money on a ton of gifts. i only spent 200 for 3 kids and under my christmas tree was packed. you just have to know where to shop and to start shopping early. I found a cool hot wheels ramp that would normally be priced for 20-30bucks for only 10 or a really neat toddler tool bench set with a ton of tools that is normally priced for any where between 70-100 for only 30 bucks. just because we get our kids alot doesn't mean we have to spend alot. i give myself a limit of how much money i can spend then i go shopping. there is a garage sale website in my area where people post things for cheap, such as i am getting my daughter a really nice heavy jacket for 1.50 and normally good heavy jackets are 40-50. or even craigs list, ect.
    iluvmymomasboys

Answer by iluvmymomasboys at 3:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2010