Do your children wear helmets, and when did they start?

Our son is 2, and doesn't ride his trike outside yet (he can't pedal it yet, either, just pushes it around inside with his feet). So, he doesn't wear a helmet, as our house is carpeted.

Once he's outside, he'll have to have one, however.
This would be for bikes/trikes, scooters, skates, 4 wheelers and go-carts, ect.

So, when did or will your kids start wearing them?

LadyCash

Asked by LadyCash at 2:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• Mine are 6, 11, and 13 and if they are on anythign that moves (bike, skateboard, rollerblades, scooter, etc) they HAVE to wear a helmet, I don't care who doesn't because they know the dangers of not wearing one. One head injury could kill them and it's just not worth it. They have some pretty cool helmets though so they don't mind wearing them. Mine started wearing helmets as soon as they were riding outside. For my oldest, that was 4, my middle son was 3, and DD was 2. And on base here, it is a law that they have to be wearing a helmet anyway though a lot of the kids don't.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 3:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• for my 2.5 yr old dd's first birthday I got her a bike seat that attached to my bike and a cool little helmet made by Giro. She hated it at first but she really loves it now and puts it on when she sits on her trike, hops on the longboard or scooter
    bingbong

Answer by bingbong at 2:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my three older kids have never worn one
    my youngest child has had one since eighteen months and hates it
    Anonymous

• Once my children started to ride or skate on anything outside.
    HomeAlone45

Answer by HomeAlone45 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• About 2 yrs old. He is 14 now and does not wear a helmet. Kind of hard to enforce when the Asst Chief of Polices son no longer wears one.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• inside, no way, outside yes! As soon as they are riding anything
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 3:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• yup helmet always, and when he starts to be able to go fast, knee and elbow pads too
    sarlove01

Answer by sarlove01 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my kids wanted nothing to cover thier face nor did they seem to like helmets.
    peace013

Answer by peace013 at 3:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• They used to wear them when we lived in PA because it was the law.  That was a few years ago.  Then we moved back to IL and they haven't touched their helmets sicne.  And they learned to ride without training wheels a couple years ago.  No one in Chicago wears helmets unless you are commuting on busy streets.  I have no idea what the laws are here (we live in WA) but the kids no longer have bikes so there is no issue.  We didn't have room to bring them when we moved.  But I rarely see kids with helmets on around here.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 6:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010