How do you get your 3 year old lab to poop in only one section of the yard?

I have a 3 year old lab... and I will be moving into a reallly nice place soon with a big yard that has excellent grass and lawn keepers. I want her to poop in only one section... of which i will be cleaning up a few times every week to keep clean. How do i get her to do this?

Mskixxalot

Asked by Mskixxalot at 2:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Pets

• I suggest puppy litter, they can sniff it out and get used to just that area.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Fence off a specific part and only let her in that area to do business.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 3:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I know this one! I have a book "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Fun and Tricks With Your Dog" (for your reference)
    1. Take your dog to the specific spot first thing in the morning. When they go at that spot, praise and/or give a treat.
    2. Find some thick white clothesline and lay it out in a six foot circle around the pee/poop
    3. Next time you take your dog to potty, go to this area and ignore your dog
    4. If your dog goes potty in the circle, praise and treat. If not, the book says to "praise calmly." I think that means ignore mostly. Don't act mad or your dog will think he isn't supposed to pee/poop.

It also says that if your dog decides to play with the rope, soak it overnight in Bitter Apple Spray (found in local pet stores). It's non-toxic, just nasty tasting.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 3:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The book also says that all of the above is only relevant if your dog is already house trained.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 3:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think fencing off a specific area is probably your best option. I have 9 dogs and we have a "poopy pen" where everybody goes first thing in the morning and last thing at night - I pick it up twice a day (have to with that many - LOL). I still have to occasionally poop scoop the rest of the yard just to catch anything anyone "forgot" to do in the poppy pen, but for the most part they know the routine and it keeps the rest of the yard clean (and keeps me having grass in the rest of the yard too) !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 4:41 AM on Oct. 17, 2010