Is this post partum depression or empty nest syndrome? HELP!

With my son's passage of that age, since I have not heard from my attorney, I am free to put Alabama in my rear view mirror. I knew this day would come. I prepared my financial status for this day. I just never realized how difficult this day would be. I owe my son nothing else, legally, but emotionally, I am not so sure. I knew I would be in my mid 40's when the house was paid off, and then 50 when my son would be set free. I just don't understand this emotion. It feels like postpartum depression or empty nest syndrome.

Joeygoat

Asked by Joeygoat at 3:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Adult Children (18+)

• Your emotion could be sadness or depression. The two conditions you mention are specific to certain life events......birth and older children leaving home.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 3:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't know what you mean... are you wanting to leave your son behind in a state you wish to vacate?
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 3:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have no idea what you mean...it sounds like you are leaving your son behind in Alabama?

Answer by tyfry7496 at 3:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• What do u mean
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 3:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• confused too!

Answer by older at 5:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I wish I had an answer for you. I know the feeling, but have yet to find a name for it.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 11:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• If you have a good relationship with your children I would encourage you to visit with them often. The same goes for your friends. Any close relationships you have can be a source of strength for you now. You might want to take an inventory, of sorts, of what gives you pleasure and what are some things you might want to think about doing. Best wishes.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 6:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It's entirely possible you're dealing with empty nest syndrome, though PPD I think is more specific to within a year or so of giving birth. Most important thing right now is taking some time for you to get yourself used to the new living situation and figure out where YOU want your life to go from here.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 7:18 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Sounds like you need to make some friends. Start with taking a class or join a traveling club. I have a girlfriend whos husband passed and her kids were grown. She joined a travel club and goes on short trips a couple times a year and loves it. She made some friends and can spread her wings without leaving her home.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 7:19 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You are in a period of transition. It is normal to be sad to be leaving a situation but it can be exciting entering a new one. This is YOUR time. Do acknowledge your emotions, and do process them, but make a point of moving past them. The world is yours and you now have the time to focus on what you want to do. You have a lifetime of living still ahead of you. Good luck.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:55 AM on Oct. 17, 2010