do you as a parent teach your children to be grateful for what they have and for what they get during the holidays?

My kids have hinted around this year about what they want..But I on the otherhand think they are asking for alot.(stuff don't make the world go round) I think kids have to learn that..Just because a friend got this and another got that don't mean they will get it...I try to teach my kids that they don't need all the expensive stuff...Yes I know xmas comes once a year but what are we teaching our kids by spending all that money on something so pricey?? My kids are taught it's a gift if it's given to you accept and be grateful don't complain..I love my kids but they have to understand there are kids who get nothing...while ya maybe they didn't get what they wanted they got something.. I usually go $20-30 per kid from santa and $40 in small gifts from us..I don't believe in spending tons of money on stuff that will just be tossed aside and not taken care of...I see this so much ppl buying all this big stuff and ungrateful kids

chica679

Asked by chica679 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Holidays

• I teach my kids to be grateful for everything. They get 2-3 toys and 2-3 needs, however my budget for each child is up to $200. I dont want to get them crappy toys that will be broken in 1 month. If you get them good quality toys then maybe they would appreciate them more.
    SabrenaLeigh

Answer by SabrenaLeigh at 3:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Of course.
    You have good gift/kid/parenting ideas, IMO.
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 3:40 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes, my kids are grateful for everything they have. They don't even ask for Christmas presents. Each of my kids get 1 toy, 1 outfit and something else that is usually a spur of the moment thing.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 3:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i agree with op
    san78

Answer by san78 at 3:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes I tell my kids to be grateful for every meal they get, every christmas gift with they only get 3 toys a piece and some clothes n maybe a pair of sneakers, and what ever they get for their bday
    lovelypisces

Answer by lovelypisces at 3:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I try to teach my kids to be greatful but it doenst always work. I am thinking of spending 100 dollars on each of my children this christmas also. They really dont need anything and want so much.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 4:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I do all the time.
    Cassandre

Answer by Cassandre at 9:53 AM on Oct. 23, 2010