fashion design

so ive decided to really go for it, and go for being a fashion designer. im not aiming to be the next donna karen, but a free lance fashion designer pretty much who makes a decent income. i ahve the creativity and the desire, just need the polishing and the school but their are no schools in my local area that offer this other than sewing classes etc. im going to take. any advice how i should get this ball rolling?

moki1984

Asked by moki1984 at 11:56 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Beauty & Style

• This sounds weird just written down, but I mean it in a nice way: Do you need to go to school? Are there any clothing manufacturers you can go work or intern for? Any local designers who would be willing to do the same? It would be a good way also to get your face/name out there. I have found local business to be very willing to help out other "little guys". They may have suggestions, also, from an insider perspective. Sorry, that's all I have. good luck!
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 7:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have the same sitch. I'm a self taught sewer :P There are plenty of tuts on the net, start small and don't get overwhelmed.
    the.deadly.mrs

Answer by the.deadly.mrs at 10:31 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• thanks. honestly i researched a lil and a lot of designers never had schooling minus some sewing classes. im going to take sewing classes and corset making classes cause i LOVE corsets, im gonna look around and see what i can find in the local area and just start practicing
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 9:39 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I went to Fashion school,yes there is a necessity for this based on my course thet set up for wanna be Fashion designers you will have all the knowledge better than just sewing cause it's more than that. I am sorry that there is no school near you,with fashion that's the way it is. Lucky me I was from a major city.
    loriec

Answer by loriec at 6:59 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• well i dont get to choose where i live, army family
    moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 7:54 PM on Oct. 29, 2008