To anyone who believes in a god, goddess, or multiple deities, yet is open-minded to others of different faiths. . .

do you perceive everyone as being guided/judged by the higher powers that you believe in, or do you believe that they are guided/judged by the ones that they believe in--for example, does a Wiccan believe that a Christian is guided/judged by his or her version of god, or by whatever spirits/gods/goddesses you believe guide you and vice-versa?

jsbenkert

Asked by jsbenkert at 3:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• My answer is similar to pixie trix... I believe that different gods/goddesses are different interpretations of the same concept, molded by different peoples, times, cultures. I think the idea of the divine is large enough that we don't clearly grasp it and have created different means of approaching it. Similar to the story of the blind men and the elephant... some of us may relate to different aspects of one, very large being. Reality is what is... I think various religions are man's attempts to approach that reality, but are not reality in and of themselves.
    Freela

Answer by Freela at 11:46 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Me personally..

I believe all is one.. Ek Okar/ Brahma Ek e Hai.... God is one..

Not matter what name(s) are used, the way of worship, the text followed, the name of the house of worship..ect..ect.. All who believe in God(s) all believe in the one single universal creator. Therefore, all follow, adhere to, are guided by, etc.. The One Universal creator (God, Allah, Brahma, ect... whatever name one prefers to use) no matter what name(s) or aspects of that One that someone chooses to use or follow.

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 3:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The deities are not all the same thing, there are different ones and different belief systems for a reason. They are regional. There is no reason for someone from Sweden to worship Ra anymore than someone from Kansas should be compelled to worship some Middle Eastern guy who wandered around 2000 years ago. If people feel an affinity for a deity that isn't one they were "born to", that's perfectly logical. But no, there is no one set of gods that covers everyone. The concept I really find silly is the one where someone believes their belief is the "real" one and everyone else's is the "imaginary" one. Considering whoever believes that, regardless of their faith, is grossly outnumbered by the so called "imaginary" ones, it's not a very logical belief to hold.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with pixie_trix - I believe all is One. I believe we all relate to the same Divine in different ways.
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 4:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• no, certainly not. in fact, sometimes i wonder what God other xtians are guided by, as well! everyone's beliefs are so personal, as is their God. IMO
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• By the way--there is no "right" or "wrong" answer here. I am simply curious. I see a lot of people here who seem to be open-minded and accepting of others' beliefs and was wondering if you believe your higher power(s) would be the same for everyone, regardless of belief, and he or she simply has a different name or image of it, or if you believe that there is, in fact, a different higher-power for the different faiths.
    jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 3:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i was answering honestly. i guess i wasn't clear on the 'their God' part. unless the topic is 'gods-other than God of Abraham', i usually still capitalize it. different strokes, i guess.
    but, no. IMO, i don't think the higher-power of other beliefs is the same as God (of Abraham). it gets confusing, doesn't it?
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 3:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It does--and dullscissors, I think I was typing my attempt to clarify my question at the same time that you were typing your response, so my answer was not a reflection on yours.

I am really trying to understand perceptions people hold of others' beliefs from those who are actually respectful and accepting of those that are different from their own.  I mean, it's pretty clear that those who aren't as open-minded--I'll use some Christians as an example, but am not saying this is the case of all Christians, or saying that it is only Christians--scoff at others' beliefs, call who they worship or seek guidance from, "false-gods" or worse.  I was wondering how those who are open-minded perceive the deities of other faiths. Does that make sense?

jsbenkert

Comment by jsbenkert (original poster) at 4:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I believe in one God so it's hard for me to also believe that people are being guided my many gods. However I understand that this is my belief and that the beliefs of others are just as strong and important to them. I accept that we have differences and it's okay.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• (oh, and I'm Christian *wink*)
    bandgeek521