I didn't know the government spied on us!!!!!! And Obama wants to stop it? What are your thoughts?

WOW, I learn something new everyday. I didn't know this, but I'm probably the last to know, lol. I was reading this article:

http://www.aclu.org/transition/

On what the ACLU wants to do if Obama becomes pres.

And one thing is to end spying. I didn't even know they really spied?

My husband explained it to me ------ all of the phone calls made in the USA (whether cell or landline) are monitored in a computer system and when certain key words (like terrorist words come up) the calls are reviewed, etc. It's also done through e-mail.

If anyone knows more please share.

I personally think its great and I'm sure it has prevented some terrorist attacks.

I don't understand why Obama wants to stop it? If it can prevent a 9/11 attack, I'm all for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are your thoughts!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:59 PM on Oct. 27, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Ummm Obama wants to stop it because we have rights as American citizens not to have our shit listened to and looked through. He wants to make the illusion of freedom a reality. People that think America is truly free is looking through rose-colored glasses.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• So you're willing to risk another 9/11 just so the gov't can't hear you talk about getting your hair done and what you made for dinner?

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:09 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Wow I didn't know this was for real. I have nothing to hide so I don't care either way.
    Britmum72

Answer by Britmum72 at 12:36 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• if they want to listen to me talk to my mom about the color of my babys poop whatever, I have nothing to hide, and if you are concerned about it, you are probably doing something illegal. If it prevents another 9/11 and protects my family I am all for it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:41 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Your husband seems to be a little confused on this issue. Here's Obama's take on Homeland Security..

http://origin.barackobama.com/issues/homeland_security/#civil-liberties

msmoody

Answer by msmoody at 12:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Yeah, it's called Echelon. I am totally undisturbed by it. College students have fun with it by putting words like bomb into their communications. I agree with the women who are declaring they have nothing to hide, so go ahead and let a computer pick up on trigger words and bring it to some human being's attention. ... I wish they would apply this technology to creeps who contact each other about child porn or kidnapping. I will be interested to click into the above link and see what that is.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• "if you are concerned about it, you are probably doing something illegal."

Seriously? You can't have an strong opinion about your right to privacy from the government unless you're doing something illegal? How about if they open your mail or have random sweeps of your home as they do in not-so-free countries? Still cool with you? It's just baby poop, right?

"so go ahead and let a computer pick up on trigger words and bring it to some human being's attention. ..."

Yes, there's our tax dollars hard at work- investigating college students who make jokes about bombs. The first anon was right. Homeland Security is a farce, but if you find comfort in it, let's just turn the U.S. into a police state.
    CluelessCarrie

Answer by CluelessCarrie at 2:37 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I really don't care if he wants to stop it or not. I don't know how that works now if they just listen in on the trigger words but when they first started that it was all international calls. I wasn't doing anything illeagal but i called to canada alot an i didn't like them listening. I don't think they should be listening to calls if one of those words comes up , they should only be able to tap phone of people who they have reason too.
    I think it's kinda funny how this Q? was on here a few days ago and alot of people were pissed about invasion of privacy but now that obama wanting to stop it is in the question every thinks it shouldn' t be stopped.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:08 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• yes. terrorists refer to themselves by that word, and speak of bombs in their communications. they are completely lacking in any kind of stealth.

eye rolling

autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• If they're stupid enough to get caught over saying those words over the phone then im sure they're too stupid to pull of an attack like 9/11. they is probly no point in monitoring calls, im sure they could be doing something more effective then that
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 3:23 AM on Oct. 28, 2008