if your child has problems like touretts or adhd or autism do you think you should tell them they are diffrent or not

i know a family that has a mental handycap child and he dosent know he is handycap , my son has adhd and touretts syndrom . is it better to inform them or not

tomcatsbabygirl

Asked by tomcatsbabygirl at 4:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think they usually know they are different and when it comes up it should be discussed. Different does not mean bad!!!
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 4:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• If that child is doing fine without knowing, then ok. But if he thinks that he is totally normal, that can be a problem. My 5yo ds is non-verbal autistic, and I don't know if he knows that he is different or not. We are in all the therapies that are supposed to help him, but so far, we have not seen much progress. It just takes a while for some I guess.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 4:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think you should tell them. They need to know why they are the way they are and that they are not just freaks. HOWEVER, my son understands that it is NOT an excuse for his behavior, it is something he needs to work hard to adapt to a world he finds hard to understand.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think it's best to explain to them that not all children are like them. You don't have to say something like YOU are different, just simply explain to them that others aren't like them. I think it goes a long way to helping them understand how and why some kids or adults may treat them differently (which I'm sure will happen). And it may help them to cope with the realization down the road that they are "special" needs. But I don't think you need to make it out to be a bad thing, being different isn't bad, it's just different, and if you stress that it can be a good thing in the end.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 4:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My son has autism. We did tell him when he was diagnosed at age 8. We told him that it just meant he had his own way of thinking and doing things than other people-- which is not a bad thing. He was ok with that. Now that he is older we talked more in depth about it and what it means. Even though he has autism we try to make every effort to treat him the same as his 'nt' brothers, and not treat him as if he were "different'. We also do not let him use the autism as an excuse or cop-out for not doing something or to get out of doing something-- (example I can't make my bed because I have autism).
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes tell them! I have a 23 yr old with Autism/Aspergers and i never told her anything was wrong, I wanted her to feel as normal as everyone else....

Then it came time for driving and going to college......she is not capable of achieving either because of her disabilites...she has these fantasies about what she can become...well it is like telling a blind person they cannot fly a plane and trying to convince them of why it really won't work out...leading a kid to believe they are fine when they are not is very upsetting later in life.
    If I could go back i would have been up front with everything from day one rather then be misleading.
    always be upfront and honest!
    I now have to deal with a person who is 23 in age but mentally 12. She will never admit to anything being different because she wasn't told anything different until she was 17. She is angry! and if she was raised to know she was limited it would be less stressful
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 10:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Tell them.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:30 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Tell them
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:41 AM on Oct. 18, 2010