how do you cover up red paint on ur walls if u want to cover it white

tomcatsbabygirl

Asked by tomcatsbabygirl at 4:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Use a primer first, like new construction primer or kiltz
    darcibeisheim

Answer by darcibeisheim at 4:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• You would FIRST need to primer it... Most likely 2 coats and THEN you could paint it. But even at that chances are if it's a dark or bright red it will still alter the color of your final product.

Your best bet is to completely strip the walls of their paint and then primer & paint, but that is a long hard expensive process...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 5:00 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I painted over barn red walls in my dining room, and repainted it a pale yellow! Just needed a really good primer with a deep base followed by two coats of yellow! No problem!! :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 5:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My husband is a house painter, and red is really hard to cover. Use at least two coats of primer or kilz and see if you are ready for paint. Red is bad about bleeding through, so make sure the primer dries well so that you can see that the red is covered before you paint. Also, I think at Lowes they have new high definition paint, that may civer better than a cheaper brand.
    A.Perry

Answer by A.Perry at 5:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Lots of Primer before you paint it white. and you might want to let the primer sit of a day or two to make sure the red wont bleed through before your use the white paint.
    Mother_ofa_brut

Answer by Mother_ofa_brut at 5:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Primer 1st then you can paint it any color youlike
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Killz primer. I just covered walls that had, what I call, hooker red on them. My grandmother thought it was a pretty color. I think I used to coats of primer to cover the red and am on coat 2 of the new paint.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I painted over dark red walls and went with a sky blue. I did two coats of white primer, one coat of tinted primer (tinted with the color I wanted) and then two coats of color. It was LOT of painting!!!
    TwinMomma122304

Answer by TwinMomma122304 at 11:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2010