A question about the Navy or maybe any military.

My cousin's Bf signed up for the Navy. He graduated this past May and was 18 in April. They are telling me that he has up to a year before he goes to boot camp. I thought when you sign up you leave soon after. I have never heard of anyone having up to a year and not knowing a date or even a month. Have you heard of this? Is it common?

Just curious, I guess.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• Read this question and answer.

"The reason for the wait can be due to budgeting, class availability, or the Recruiter having no incentive to put you in that program. Certain rates get pushed for enlistment than others at certain points in time and this is what that sounds like: they have a good amount of Nukes but need something like IT's, etc."

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 5:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• ^^ yup.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 5:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes it's called the Delayed Enlisment Program. That is most likely what is going on with him. This article will explain a lot better than I could:

http://usmilitary.about.com/cs/joiningup/a/dep.htm

AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 5:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It is quite common. Some people leave right away but more often that not you have to wait for certain classes to class up or availability. Especially now since they have so many people signing up.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 8:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes its very common. Its used alot for highschoolers that want to enlist but need to finish high school. My dad enlisted that way before he was out of high school.
    BigfordBrat

Answer by BigfordBrat at 9:27 AM on Oct. 17, 2010