What city has the cheapest cost of living in the US?

Started thinking about this just a little while ago, so I'm trying to see what answers people come up with. Kiplinger's has Fort Smith, AR as the lowest cost of living. Anyone find anything different?

AprilDJC

Asked by AprilDJC at 5:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Money & Work

• Nothing official, but if you're looking for cheapest cost of living, you need to factor in unemployment. It doesn't matter if you can buy a house for $20k if you have to travel 500 miles to find a job. Keeping that in mind, it's most likely Oklahoma in the towns outside OK City. They have a very low cost of living and an employment boom going on.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Well, I live in Los Angeles, which has one of the highest costs of living, and we moved to Wyoming for 6 years which has one of the lower costs of living overall, but what I found was that things really balanced out. Housing was cheaper, gas was cheaper, no state income tax (and California really takes us to the cleaners in taxes) but medical was higher, produce was higher, wages were lower, so things really did pretty much balance out. We live about the same lifestyle here in Los Angeles as we did in Wyoming financially.......
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• All I know.. is that it's not the city I live in.. LOL My neighborhood alone has a cost of living that is 20% higher than the national average.
    pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 6:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I live in oklahoma and it is one of the lowest cost of living places to live i grew up in OKC but moved to a smaller town a few years ago and IDK who told you theres an employment boom here because personally i lost a job working for my fiance's step mom in one of her many businesses over 1 1/2 years ago and started my own small business at the begining of this year i must say i enjoy working for myself a lot better...
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 4:02 PM on Oct. 17, 2010