Best way to discipline a two and a half year old?

Nothing seems to work very well. any advice?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 5:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• when you find out let me know...
    kat12874

Answer by kat12874 at 5:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• time out seems to work best for me. and if they get up and act out again they get put right back in time out. and for a two year old no longer than 2 or 3 minutes at a clip.
    supermommy1983

Answer by supermommy1983 at 6:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• ok...I was struggling with this as well. as mcuh as it makes us feel better TO DON'T work for the average toddler. it just gives us some relief as parents but it usually does not make the child change their behavior....offer consequences that fit the crime...if your child won't hold your hand when walking then she is to be carried or put in the stroller...talk about this before u are in the situation so they are aware of their choice. Make EVERYTHING a choice...My DS refused to nap today (jumping & running in his room). I went up & said he has 2 choices..he can go to sleep or he can sit and read quietly. then I asked which he wanted to do..he said read..and he did...at 1st this might not work for which you offer incentives...a sticker, an extra show etc. if he naps. If they make a choic that was not a choice take away something that they were looking forward to that day. If you are out doing something fun and they con.t
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• cont. don't do what is asked of them let them know you will leave the next time they disobey or make a bad chocie. Then DO IT!! Follow through if they make a bad choice. Enough times of this and they will start to get it. Make sure you make it something you are willing to do. If yo don't follow through you are going to look like a joke and they will challenge you even more the next time. In every day life offer choices...choices of clothes, shoes, cup color, jacket, where they sit to eat, bedtime story etc. Let them feel in controlled and heard. They often feel they have no control which is why they act out..believe me my DS is always a challenge but if you start here things will get better,,.if you want to chat more message me. GL!!
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 7:42 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Stand in the corner, time out. And when I need a time-out he can go to his room and throw a fit while I get some breathing room.
    Flower_Mom

Answer by Flower_Mom at 1:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010