What causes an "outie" belly button?

I used to think it was genetic but nobody in either of our families has one but our son. His umbilical cord fell of less than a week after he was born and even though it healed just fine I'm thinking maybe that has something to do with it? Does anybody know what causes "innies" and "outies"??

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:49 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• My pediatrician told me that an "outtie" is actually a small hernia caused from the umbilical cord (usually in big babies). He said they rarely need repaired unless you are doing it for cosmetic reasons.
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 12:56 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Ohh, no I'm not concerned I actually think its cute :-) I was just curious since I always thought it was genetic and apparently its not lol. Thanks!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:00 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Watch to make sure it does not get worse. My son's hernia was fully inverted by6 weeks. He is now 4 mo and it has gotten better since he is using more tummy muscles. My pede said it should be back to normal by 1 yr.
    vsrillo

Answer by vsrillo at 2:15 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son also has the belly button hernia. His doctor said its cause from weak stomach muscles and alot of babies have it. She also said it will go away on its own as the stomach muscles strengthen. Just make sure to keep an eye on it.
    DessaG20

Answer by DessaG20 at 3:12 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think they are cute too! My daughter's has lessened (she' s now 5), but still out there enough to be cute!
    Mishelly728

Answer by Mishelly728 at 10:47 AM on Oct. 28, 2008