Best way to discipline a two and a half year old?

Nothing seems to work very well. any advice?

anxious1stimer

Asked by anxious1stimer at 5:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• A couple of ideas...........Find your child's "currency", that thing or activity which is most important to him, and withhold that as punishment.
    Time out can be effective too. Make the length of time appropriate for his age and be consistent. Do not talk to him if you have to take him back to the time out spot. People give up on time out because the child has to be returned to the spot. It can take a long time before he stays there.
    Whatever method you pick do it every time and stay consistent and stay calm. Make sure he also is getting enough one on one time with you and your SO. That he is getting praise for the things he does right. And lots of hugs and kisses. Good luck!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 5:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I am the mother of a little boy who will be 3 in December. I struggle with this as well. What I have learned most recently is that consistancy is everything. I use to say the same things... I have tried everything and nothing works. What I have discovered... That was my problem! I was trying everything. My son didn't know from one day to the next what I was going to say or do about his behavior. You have to pick what works best for you and keep it going. What works the best today my not work the best tomorrow because he/she will test the extents that you are willing to go. But stay strong, stick with it, and adventually he/she will get that you are not going to give in and you are in charge.
    Mother_ofa_brut

Answer by Mother_ofa_brut at 5:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Spanking done correctly.
    NannyB.

Answer by NannyB. at 6:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• timeout (time spent is set by childs age)
    DeBee13

Answer by DeBee13 at 6:32 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Say what you mean and mean what you say. Never threaten a child with a punishment you can't follow thru with they soon catch on to that. The age limit with the time out is good, and always make them stay in time out. Take away what is important to him and then let him have it back when he behaves. Good luck.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i will be watching your post cause i have no clue ... we have used time out , taking toys and mine sure was hard headed..... i have one thats just about to turn 2 ... i could use some good info too.
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 6:33 AM on Oct. 17, 2010