When to ween...?

My two year old sucks on his nite nite (a cars blanket that is small enough he can carry around) all the time. He freaks out if he doesn't know where it is. He loves that thing.

I am concerned about a couple of things though. Im worried about his teeth moving from sucking on it, cavaties from spit staying in his mouth, and inhailing loose fuzzies. (and choking at night, but i go in when he is asleep and take it out of his mouth).

When would be the best time to ween him from this habbit? when did you ween your kids from their feel good habits?

kat12874

Asked by kat12874 at 5:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Only when they are ready. I am a firm believer that if the child needs it and it's not hurting them, there isn't any reason to force them to give it up. There are no college students with "loveys" or "nite-nites" they will give it up when they are ready...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I weaned my daughter off of everything like that by the time she was a year old. So, my suggestion is to do it now.
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 5:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• it's time to wean him off the blankie. If you wait, it's just going to be harder. As far as HOW to do it, I don't know... personally I would just take it away and it would be a rough couple of days.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 6:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my sugestion is get him off of it now. the older he gets the harder its going to be to break him from it.
    supermommy1983

Answer by supermommy1983 at 6:29 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• is it really hard for you to take something your child loves away from them?
    kat12874

Comment by kat12874 (original poster) at 6:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I just took everything away from her. Pacifiers were trashed the day she turned one, bottles were trashed and replaced with sippy cups.

You have to make the change. And IMO the best way to do that is completely and permanently take it away. That's how I weaned =).
    Glamourina

Answer by Glamourina at 6:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2010