What do you use for shedding?

I've seen a few different brushes and vacuum type things but I can't afford to waste money on crap that doesn't work. I read terrible reviews for the shed vac. I', allergic to my 2 big dogs who shed like crazy. I use allergen spray, air filters, and a rainbow vacuum but it's not quite enough. I'm about to make a *4 day* road trip with them. The last time I did, I got to my destination SO sick with the worst headache and could barely breathe. The shed vac concept was appealing but apparently it just doesn't work. I'm taking a big bottle of anti allergen spray with me and I'll try to find car vacuum stations along the way if we have time. But I could really use something to get as much hair OFF of them before they have a chance to shed it. It'll be too cold to just leave the windows open and hope for the hair to blow away. What devices have you had success with or what have you tried and hated? They're afraid of my vacuum.

jus1jess

Asked by jus1jess at 6:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Pets

• I don't have pets, but I do have bad allergy issues. Are you taking something? At least take some Claritin or Benadryl...whooo, I'd be sick, too! Have a safe trip! ~ God Bless
    the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 6:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Iwish i knew. I hate the hair.
    anxious1stimer

Answer by anxious1stimer at 6:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't take anything cause I don't want to rely on meds everyday. I'm also pregnant and breastfeeding.
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 6:41 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I'd recommend having your dogs professionally shaved before you go. this will cut down on the longer hair, which is what is shedding. Also, suppliment your dogs with vitamin E in their food (Fish oil capsuls) to help promote healthy coats. Look into foods that say "healthy coat" sort of stuff on the packaging. GL! The healthier their coats, the less likely they are to shed excessively. Also, keep them groomed regularly.
    BisketLiss

Answer by BisketLiss at 7:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I thought about shaving but we're moving to a MUCH colder area than we're used to this month. I'm afraid they'll be too cold (both short hair breeds) if I take away what they have just as we get to a new freezing place. But thanks for the suggestion.
    jus1jess

Comment by jus1jess (original poster) at 9:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We use a furminator for our German Shepherd; some vets also do a "furminator" treatment. The brush is expensive, but sooo worth it!
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:39 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Walmart makes a brush that is JUST like the Furminator, but a LOT cheaper. I have one and it works well at getting out the undercoat. It is actually the undercoat that sheds so you need a brush that will really pull the dead hair out. I also feed my dogs a high-quality brand of dog food and it helps alot. I like to rotate them between the "flavors" of Blue Buffalo, Taste of the Wild, and Canidae, but there are LOTS of other high-quality brands out there (and you will NOT find these brands at Walmart or the grocery store). Wild Alaskan salmon oil is also a great source of Omega 3/6 which makes for healthier skin/coat & it is also very good for the heart.
    CollinBayleeMom

Answer by CollinBayleeMom at 2:57 PM on Oct. 18, 2010