Five months after giving birth, sex still hurts

Can this possibly be normal? I had some minor tearing when delivering our son--literally, the delivery doctor had to put in just two stitches. When my husband and I tried to have sex again after about seven weeks, it hurt like crazy--even with lots of lube. It was so bad I had to stop. Since then, we haven't had sex many times (thanks to the baby, conflicting schedules, colds, etc.), but though it definitely hurts much less, it still hurts. When will this stop? Did anyone else have pain this long?

Mamastheword

Asked by Mamastheword at 12:58 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Health

• Scar tissue can be more sensitive to pain than regular skin. Perhaps you could try getting some delay cream for men which has a little numbing agent in it (look for an active ingredient like benzocaine), and massage a little where you had your stitches before you have sex. Don't use too much or you'll numb your other areas, too!
    mamapotter

Answer by mamapotter at 1:07 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• DITTO, MAMAPOTTER IS DEAD ON!
    NURSE_MOM_OF_2

Answer by NURSE_MOM_OF_2 at 1:35 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• also, as long as the pain is not excruciating, and as much it will seem like i'm on your hubbies side, having more frequent sex will help. it will help stretch those areas out so they aren't as hard and tough. you may want to try the herb chickweed also, although it should be not be taken internally, you can use it externally near the areas of inner scar tissue. it works well on external scar tissue as well. pm me for more info on it or go to your local health food store.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 7:27 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Are you on any kind on contraception?  Because I had the same issue after my first was born.  It turned out to be the pill (progesterone only b/c I was breastfeeding).  After I stopped taking it, the pain stopped.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 8:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Beeky, actually, yes, i am on the progesterone only pill, too, while i'm breastfeeding. did your doctor confirm that the pill could cause pain somehow, or was this something you figured out on your own? i was going to call my doctor if it doesn't get better soon.

KnoxvilleDoula, thanks for the heads up on chickweed. i will look for that the next time i'm at the health food store. and i hear you about things getting easier with more frequent sex. it definitely has gotten better the more we've had sex...i just thought the pain would be completely gone by now and am surprised that it isn't.
    Mamastheword

Answer by Mamastheword at 1:23 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I figured it out on my own although I had been to the doctor several times.  The first time, he found a low grade infection so he gave me antibiotics but it still didn't help.  The other times after that he was stumped because he says there is no reason why I should be having this problem.  I stopped taking the pill after a year and within two weeks I was practically tackling my husband as he walked through the bedroom door.

After my second was born, I mentioned this to the doctor so he prescribed a different pill, but I had the same problem again (although it wasn't as bad).  So after a few months I switched to the diaphragm and we were back in business again.

beeky

Answer by beeky at 5:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008