Interesting Fact

The first phone book only had 50 names in it. It was in New Haven, Conn. It was put out by The New Haven Telephone District Telephone Company in 1878.

Bugbait

Asked by Bugbait at 6:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Just for Fun

• Interesting! Thanks for the random fact! :)
    WomanWitty

Answer by WomanWitty at 6:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Interesting. I saw an old phone book my grandmother's house from the 1950s, she lived in a small town and it listed not only names and addresses, but the names and ages of all the children too.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 7:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• along those same lines Phone books in Iceland are alphabetized by first name, because their surnames are father's first name with Sson at the end if they are a boy are Dottit of they are a girl.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 7:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Thanks for sharing =)
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 7:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• interesting
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 9:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• hmmmmmm
    TXColter

Answer by TXColter at 10:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I used to work for a museum and there were old phone books there and they listed names, ages and occupations. I don't remember what the dates were for the books.
    Bugbait

Comment by Bugbait (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010