What't the youngest age a girl or her mother should have a relaxer put in? How young is too young for girls to get relaxers??

I've seen the kiddie relaxers in the supply stores but I would only have it done professionally to prevent any problems.

Danni143

Asked by Danni143 at 6:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• Did you know that there is a product called Liquid Keratin that you can use right in your home? It lasts about thirty days without damaging the hair. It's safe for all ages. Liquid Keratin

m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:56 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I had my hair done at about 8 or so, and I know lots of others who had them done younger... That said, knowing what I know now about that stuff, I would say never is a good time to start. The Chemicals in those things are beyond horrid, and I would never use them on a child. In the end it's up to the parents and how bad the child wants it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 6:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree. No More Relaxers, lol [like No New Taxes from the 90's]. They are loaded with harmful chemicals. I cut all the relaxer out my hair this past January (the same day as the Haiti earthquake, go figure) and have never been hair happier in my life. At 4 years old, I think you should just keep it braided in cute styles until she is old enough to comb it herself and then you two together can find some natural styles to wear it.

If you insist on relaxers, I say at least 10yrs old. Because you know once you start you have to keep doing them and thats best done when she's older and in school and more motivated to have her hair looking right.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 9:52 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Thanks.
    My DD hair is so thick and sometimes,,,,most of the time unmanageable. I was thinking that it would help. But she's going on 4. I don't know of any other solutions.
    Danni143

Comment by Danni143 (original poster) at 7:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree, I don't think that a relaxer is a good idea. I don't have one in my hair and I would not do that to my daughter. If she asks (when she is older) I will try so hard to talk her out of it.
    Bubbie0809

Answer by Bubbie0809 at 7:23 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think she's too young
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would wait until middle school.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 2:31 PM on Oct. 17, 2010