Is it too soon to tell her?

My 8 y/o dau just told me that a 3rd grade classmate of hers told her when you turn 12 you start to pee blood. I said we dont pee blood & changed the subject. Isnt 8 too young to explain about periods? What would you do?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 7:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think I'd explain it to her in an 8 yr old terms and only a much as she needs to hear. Answer her questions honestly but no more than she asks, this way she'll be getting honest answers from someone she trusts and loves.
    MyAngel003

Answer by MyAngel003 at 7:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• In this case, I would explain.....you'd rather she get the facts from you than BS from kids at school. You can make it not-so-scary for her.
    DMac08

Answer by DMac08 at 7:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• There are a lot of girls that start their periods at 8-9 years old. I was one of them. starting that conversation now would be a good idea.
    tanya_marieh

Answer by tanya_marieh at 7:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't think it's too soon. Especially considering her class mates are already telling her things that are incorrect.
    Eviesmommy

Answer by Eviesmommy at 7:15 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Well you CAN pee blood, so you should clarify that to her saying that peeing blood usually means you are experiencing health problems and should see a doctor.

And at 8 it is perfectly fine to talk to her about periods. Keep it simple. It happens every 4 weeks. Our body makes a bed of blood and soft tissue to prepare for a baby and if you don't get pregnant...the bed of blood and tissue leaves your body through your vagina and your body starts making a fresh lining...

You'd be surprised how understanding and interested she'll be. My girls were.
    mrs.ramirez

Answer by mrs.ramirez at 7:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with the others :) It is always better to be the one to give her the facts. It will make things easier on both of you in the long run.
    BraythansMom

Answer by BraythansMom at 7:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My kids already have that information, and they are boys and much younger, so No, I don't think it's to young. Plus, I was 8 when I got my first period, so beyond doubt I wouldn't think it's to early, if anything it's a little late if she's getting information like that from "friends."

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• It is not to young. I found out about menstruation when I was 8 years old. My mom had an 'accident' and instead of brushing it under a rug, she decided to explain it to us, knowing that we would find out soon anyway. 

Besides, if one girl said something, she will hear it from another, and another.  It's better if she gets the facts and not friend fiction. 

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I would tell her. Obviously she is already hearing stuff at school, and you need to make sure she knows what is what. And think how smart she will feel when she can tell her friends at school they are wrong.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 7:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I agree with everyone else just put in in words that a 8 year old can understand. Anymore lots of girls start their period at 8-10 and if other kids are already telling her about it you explaining will help keep her from being scared. My mom expained when i was 8-9 yrs old and explained about sex without getting too graphic. try buying a science book or borrowing one from the libray that may help.
    JayBran06

Answer by JayBran06 at 8:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2010