Looking for different Pagan views of Death and Afterlife...

What are your beliefs about Death and Afterlife?
Reincarnation, One way trip to "Summerland" or something else?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 7:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't know, I've never experienced death or the afterlife (that I can remember) lol. I believe that there are several possibilities. Our energy disperses and becomes part of Gaia, our energy stays contained but we become part of a collective soul, our energy hangs out for a while and then comes back again to inhabit another body (I have a feeling that I have known some of the people in my life before), or we just... end. I don't believe in eternal divine punishment or reward, but I do think it makes sense for there to be SOMETHING after death. And that's not just my irrational fear of ending talking, I don't see a purpose to life if we end upon death, and I'm not a person who believes that life can exist without purpose.

What that purpose is and what happens after death is a mystery to me.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:27 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Hel, Valhalla or Folkvangr. All are positive, the first is for everyone, the second two are hand selected for living heroic and honorable lives above and beyond the average person. You have to die in battle for Valhalla, while Folkvangr is a little bit more open to a less violent death (hunger strike rather than submit to dishonoring your family or converting, things like that).
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 7:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My belief(and I realize I could be wrong) is that we pretty much lay out our life outline at the start(so to speak) and we are reincarnated until we have learned all we set out for ourselves to learn.

After our last reincarnation/rebirth we become one with the Universe and help however is needed.

I think the place between lives is just a pretty place of peace and calm. I usually call it the Meadows.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Amaranth - your belief is nearly identical to my own.

However, I don't see how any could be wrong - no one has a definite answer beyond their own beliefs...

Comment by SabrinaMBowen (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• We believe in Summerland visit before reincarnation. We believe that we are reincarnated until we reach total enlightenment, at which time we retire in Summerland with all of our family/friends and divine happiness.
    NightPhoenix

Answer by NightPhoenix at 1:07 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• You asked for it! lol. Before we ever come here fomr Home, we write out what we want to do with this life, as we do for ever life we live. In that "plan" we give ourselves several different choices of when to leave. One we choose to leave, we return home for however long we choose. If we choose to come back, we start the whole process over again.
    Of course, in my belief's, Home is not for everyone. There are those who choose to turn away. The either go to a special "holding" place until they turn back. And, the truely evil one (sociopaths) contiually horseshoe back to life after death until they complete their orignal "life" goal.
    -Ashley
    spiritguide_23

Answer by spiritguide_23 at 10:23 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• what NightPhoenix said
    MamaK88

Answer by MamaK88 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 19, 2010