contractions....should I call the Dr?

Alright, so these past couple days I've felt really yucky. Today I woke up and I had a bit of diarrhea (sorry TMI), and since then I've had contractions all day long! Now, they don't hurt that bad, like strong braxton hicks. We went to the pumpkin patch today and grocery shopping and they just kept coming, they never stopped. I've been getting them anywhere from 3-8 minutes or so for the past hour 1/2. I'm not one of those people who just think they're in labor, but I'm a little concerned because I'll only be 36 weeks on Tuesday. Should I give them a call? And WHO do I call? Labor and delivery or my after hours dr office? I just don't want to go for nothing and be embarrassed.

mamie2shoes

Asked by mamie2shoes at 7:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Pregnancy

• Try guzzling down a couple glasses of water, lay on your left side for about 30 minutes with your hand on your abdomen to count contrations and see if the lesson. You've been active so sometimes drinking not quite enough and being active will set off some pretty regular braxton hicks. So can diarrhea for that matter. :) If they haven't slowed down after drinking/resting, call your doc.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• At 36 weeks, I would not worry about being embarrassed.. Call the after hours number, if they do not respond in a timely manner, go to L&D. If you are going into preterm labor, they may be able to stop it..
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 7:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Uh.... I have been in preterm labor 4 times and was NEVER given narcotics. I was given procardia, tubutaline, magnesium sulfate but NEVER narcotics.
    karamille

Answer by karamille at 7:45 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I didn't say they use narcotics for preterm labor, they are given in labor as pain management. Stadol, Fentanyl, Nubain, Morphine... all these are used on pregnant women laboring and birthing and all of them are much stronger and riskier than alcohol.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• YAY!!! :) baby will be here soon! though you arent wanting your baby to come at 36.. mine is scheduled to (or shortly there after.. i am coming off the meds and letting the labor continue as it has been tryin to for so long) i will be STOKED at 35-36 weeks. which is only 2-3 weeks away!! :) my doc said to drink PLENTY of water and lay on left side... dehydration can cause this.. also count.. if still worried.. go ahead and call honey. i would rather be safe (not embarrassed though.. its natural and alot of women go in and have to be sent home) than to have the baby on the way to the hospital ;) GL
    Ross2010

Answer by Ross2010 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Thank you ladies :) I am going to try to drink lots of water then lay down for a bit. They're still coming every couple minutes as of right now. My diarrhea only lasted a short time, basically it was just (TMI!) really soft poop that gave me a stomach ache.
    mamie2shoes

Comment by mamie2shoes (original poster) at 7:46 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Just call the same number for your doctors office, they have an answering system that will get you in touch with the OB doc on call.
    wood1980

Answer by wood1980 at 7:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Do the contractions have a consistent pattern? Are they getting stronger?
    Take a bath and drink something with electrolytes, not just plain water.

I had some preterm labor with this pregnancy. I was able to stop it naturally, every time. If I could not have though, my midwife advised labor be stopped up until 37 weeks.
    Erin814

Answer by Erin814 at 9:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Thanks girls!! I drank a LOOOOOT of water after I got off here the other night and the contractions slowed. I still have them every day, but not as often, they seem like they're back to the normal once an hour or so braxton hicks. BUT I've started feeling like my pelvis is being ripped apart. Last night I thought it was going to snap if I bent/walked/sat a certain way. It was PAINFUL! I don't remember that with my first. I have an appointment on Thursday so hoping all this is causing some progress. I really appreciate all the answers and so quickly. You ladies are awesome! I was pretty scared the other night but those tips worked ;) Thanks again!!!
    mamie2shoes

Comment by mamie2shoes (original poster) at 10:12 AM on Oct. 19, 2010

• At 36 weeks they won't stop it if it IS labor. If YOU want to stop it, take a shot of alcohol. I'm not joking, it's safer than the narcotics they use on laboring women and it might help the uterus to calm down enough to stop contracting. Since they won't stop it if it is labor, just hang out at home until you're sure it is and THEN go in, rather than risk the interventions that come with being in the hospital too long.
    Ati_13

Answer by Ati_13 at 7:43 PM on Oct. 16, 2010