How do you know if your milk has "dried up"? Our son is about 7 months old, and I have to stop breastfeeding.

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 7:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• if u think u already have dried up, try expressing some milk (pumping), if nothing comes out, then ur dry

Not necessarily though, because many women nurse, and have milk, but can't get anything out with a pump or a squeeze.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• u will naturally dry up once u ween him. until then, u will need to wear a nursing pad to keep from soaking ur bra or shirt.
    if u think u already have dried up, try expressing some milk (pumping), if nothing comes out, then ur dry
    Phippsandrea

Answer by Phippsandrea at 8:03 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• With my milk drying up, my breast shrank and the less you pump and nurse the quicker it goes away. The only way to tell is to try and express your milk by hand, no milk!
    adyssonsmommy

Answer by adyssonsmommy at 11:28 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I dont know. I stopped breastfeeding at 3 months. He is nine months old now,, and I can still express milk!
    Jademarae

Answer by Jademarae at 11:58 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• The only way to tell is to try and express your milk by hand, no milk!

Again, this is NOT true. Plenty of women can't express even a drop, but still have lots of milk to nurse.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It takes as long as a year to dry up. And do be aware that many times when a mom is told she "must" wean... she really doesn't have to.

Answer by gdiamante at 4:51 PM on Oct. 18, 2010

• I don't know your reason for weaning, but if it's a problem that some of the girls on here could help you fix, don't hesitate to ask. If you are sure that you're going to wean, then just replace one nursing session per week with formula. You may dry up shortly after weaning, or it might be weeks, months, even a year or two.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 10:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2010