about how old should a baby be to give them rice cereal? how do you know if they are ready for it?

lilae86

Asked by lilae86 at 8:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I started my son at 4 and a half months. you should ask your doctor first. start with a spoon and just keep offering it and they will get better at it. make it hot mix it with stage 1 fruit.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 8:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I gave both of my children cereal at 4 months. They were both formula fed. My pediatrician said it was ok to start cereal when he saw them at their 4 month check up.
    If you are breast feeding, it is recommended that you wait until 6 months old, although there are some people who would recommend otherwise.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 8:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Well, the AAP says wait until 6 months. With that said, I started my first 3 at about 3 1/2 months and my 4th never really cared much for it. If you are doing it to help with sleep, it doesn't always work. I would say no earlier than 3 months. Try about a tablespoon mixed with formula or breast milk and see how your baby does. If he/she pushes it away or gags than wait another couple weeks and try again. You can also put it in a bottle.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 8:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• son 5 months and daughter closer to 7 1/2 ..... the standards change all the time.
    hibbingmom

Answer by hibbingmom at 8:09 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have never heard to start at a different time with formula fed vs. breastfed. You also dont have to start with rice cereal. My 4th started with all natural applesauce at about 4 1/2 months. Hope this helps.
    armyofmany

Answer by armyofmany at 8:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Rice cereal is easily digestible so it is a good one to start with if they need it....It depends on your baby and you....When nursing or bottles alone doesn't satisfy your baby....If your baby is big and nursing wears you out, etc.....breast milk or formula alone for the first year is fine....but plenty of people start feeding their babies as young as 2 months to help keep them full longer...some babies insist on eating finger foods or what the mama is eating as young as 5 months....some just aren't interested until later...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 8:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I started with all 3 of my kids at about 3 weeks when they were drinking 8 oz of formula at a time every couple hours I know the drs don't recommend that but it's what I did they are all perfectly healthy and 2 of them are grown children healthy
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 8:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I started my daughter when she was 4 months old.
    KaylynnsMommie2

Answer by KaylynnsMommie2 at 9:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I gave it at about 4-5 months. I tried once and he just tried too suck, so i know he wasnt ready. but then he started swallowing and it got easier
    Jademarae

Answer by Jademarae at 11:57 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My pedi started my son at 4 months. He hated cereal so we went to veggies. Next time im waiting till 6 months and skipping baby food and going to fork mashes avocado, banana, etx :)
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 12:31 AM on Oct. 17, 2010