Please help with our 15 month old

We realize that all babies are different, with different temperaments, etc, but it has been 15 months now and our baby is still waking up during the night. She is quite feisty and verbal and has no problem making her needs known. In the past, we've tried a crying-it-out method, which means that we go in, in intervals, pat her back and walk out. This did not result in any magical solutions for us. When she wakes up now, we attempt the same thing...go in, pat back, walk out. If an hour goes by, I will often cave in and nurse her (which is what she wants) just so we can get some sleep. More recently, even after nursing her and putting her back down, she'll still fuss and scream. At that point, I give her teething tablets, offer her water, or start the endless routine of patting her back and walking out in intervals. My husband and I want to balance responding to her legitimate needs but also helping her sleep well. Will this end?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:19 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Have you tried the CIO without going in? We were told going in makes it worse. When we did the CIO it was painful I won't lie, but wel worth it after a few nights when my DS was sleeping nicely..
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 8:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• well, i didnt nurse so im not sure if its different, but my son LOVES his bottles... but he still hasnt been waking up for middle of the night bottles since 6 months old. does she eat plenty during the day? do you give her a bed night snack and nurse before bed and a nice warm bed time bath? i also co-sleep with my son so i dont really have that problem. maybe shes just teething.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:13 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I can only remember a few times when i've had troubles with my lilttle boy waking and then putting back to sleep when he was that age...I did make sure nothing was physically wrong (teething, upset stomach) but ultimately when there wasn't anything wrong I did try not to go in. BUT i'm sure i caved sometimes because you know, the crying kills you inside :) and we're all tired and it's a small house over here. Good luck Mama ((hugs))
    Ms.JiggityJones

Answer by Ms.JiggityJones at 9:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I CIO with out going in and it was the longest week of my life. but i don't even know if it was a full week. still there are nights that she wakes or she doesn't want to go to sleep in her crib on her own and i do cosleep still. i do believe nursing makes a differance. i am not sure thoug because i stopped doing it way before 15months. but i would say this CIO as much as it hurts you its totally worth it. that is my opinion though. warm milk helps with my dd right before bedtime. good luck
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My 15 month old DD starts her night in her crib after I nurse her to sleep. When she wakes I bring her into bed with me and let her nurse off and on the rest of the night. I think I'm getting way more sleep than what you describe! The last couple of months I have gradually tried to get her to sleep (in bed with me) with out nursing. I won't nurse her before 2am. If she wakes before that I will hold her and pat her but won't nurse her. After doing this for about a week she started consistently sleeping until 3-4 am. Now she usually sleeps in her crib until about 3 or 4 and then I bring her in bed with me and she nurses off and on until she gets up at 7pm. CIO is NOT your only option. This article really helped me http://drjaygordon.com/attachment/sleeppattern.html
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 1:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• I really dont like cio I. I've never seen it work either but I've heard other moms that have. My oldest has pretty much slept through the night since he was about 6 months old. My youngest would do that same thing at first, so I would just let him stay in bed with me, until we got to the point where he wasnt nursing at night anymore. Pretty much the same thing that maggiemom2000 described Now I put him in his crib and he sleeps through the night. I think at first he just wasnt ready for that step yet. But I'm a very child led type parent. I dont think I've helped much if you're set on cio but I hope you find something that works soon!
    joscelyne

Answer by joscelyne at 1:36 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Does she have a bed time routine? Do you put her down when she is tired, or is it the same time she's been going down for a while? When DD did this, we had to change her routine for before bed time, and also she wasn't really tired when we were putting her down, so we watched for a week to see when SHE started to act sleepy, then made that bedtime. Cut down on the long nights by a lot; she never did well with CIO- she just never stopped screaming, she'd go for hours when we tried it. I couldn't handle that, so we went with the routine/find her sleepy time instead. She was still nursing at 15 months too, I just made that part of her bed time routine, then when she weaned we adjusted her routine so she still had mommy time before bed.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 12:46 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• We did CIO and did not go in his room! My son was waking in the night wanting a "snack" and some cuddling. I had to turn off the monitor and shut my door. I'd always give him 15-20 minutes. We do have one of the video monitors, so if he seemed like he was REALLY in distress, I would go to him. It may take 1-3 nights depending on how determined your child may be! That's our story; there are also some great suggestions from the moms don't do CIO. It depends on your child and your parenting style, but once you decide on something - just stick to it! Good luck mama! Best wishes :-)
    mevxoxo

Answer by mevxoxo at 7:32 PM on Oct. 17, 2010