What do you wish you'd learned before becoming a parent?

lovinangels

Asked by lovinangels at 8:21 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• I wish I had known in the beginning all I know now about dealing with the challenges and health problems we would have to deal with. Unfortunately, it's all stuff that had to be learned as we went along.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 8:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think what you learn is something people tell you all the time, but since you don't have a frame of reference, you have no way of knowing what they're actually telling you. Like when they say parenthood is a life-altering experience or you never sleep again, you have NO IDEA what that means until it actually happens. I think the best thing I can tell you is this... "Motherhood is living your life with your heart outside of your body. If you can't handle that, love that, and protect that, you're better off not being a mom."
    SlightlyPerfect

Answer by SlightlyPerfect at 8:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• First, I think I needed more patience. I already had a short temper with people that don't listen. Especially people that I had to tell the same thing to more than twice. I hated repeating myself. Second would be waiting a while between kids and not having them so close together and it can be overwhelming. Ours are 2 weeks apart.
    Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 8:38 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I wish I had known more about cloth diapers and the dangers of popular baby products... But at that point I myself wasn't even using eco-friendly personal products...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 8:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I wish I had known that I should have sleep more when I could, and watched all the movies that I wanted and traveled more...Parenting is a long way...long term commitment.
    Boyslikemoms

Answer by Boyslikemoms at 9:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I thought parenting was going to be easy. But through the years I've learned through my own experience is that no two children are alike. What may work for one doesn't necessarily work for another. Parenting is trial and error through your own experiences.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:25 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• That nothing is really a big problem and being stressed is a waste of time!
    AlisonAstair

Answer by AlisonAstair at 9:25 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• i wish the handend me a book on teens....
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 12:28 AM on Oct. 18, 2010