Cant let my son sleep in his own bed???

My son almost drowned I had to give him CPR and he is perfectly fine now. He's completely healthy. There is nothing wrong with him (LUCKY ME) hes still the same little boy he always was. Well, since the accident I havent been able to let him sleep in his own room. He always slept in his own bed until the accident. Just thought someone might have some insite of what I should do.

kiansmom0423

Asked by kiansmom0423 at 8:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I completely understand what your feeling. We loss our first daughter and when we had our second child I was totally panicking. A whole bunch of what if's. I refused to let our 2nd sleep in the crib. I had her on an Angel Care monitor until she turned 1. But even with the monitor I couldn't sleep. I would camp out beside her bassinet and watch the lights on the monitor blink. It was so difficult to go back to normal and not be afraid that something wouldn't happen again. But what helped is talking about what I was felling. I even started a journal and wrote down my thoughts. When I felt comfortable I allowed JJ to sleep in the crib for a few hours and then slowly increased the time. Good luck

Danni143

Answer by Danni143 at 8:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• try sleeping in his room with him, or being in there until he falls asleep.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Is he ok with this arrangement? As long as he isn't fighting to get back to his own room I think it's fine until you are comfortable once again.
    We co-sleep(all beds in one room) cause the thought of my children all alone across the house from us scares me. I go through the what-if's all night.
    mslksdh

Answer by mslksdh at 8:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Well take an easy transition to it, I had a similar experience and it took a good couple months for me to relax. try sleeping in his room once you're ready and easing your way out.
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 8:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Well it sounds like you may be having some uneasy feelings. Since he didn't start sleeping with you until this happened it might start making him feel insecure like something might happen to him again. Maybe you should talk to a psychiatrist to help you get over your insecurity. Letting him sleep with you once in a while is ok. My kids are 12,and 13 and they sleep with me when dads out of town.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• If you think of it this way, you may have some luck getting him to sleep in his own bed. By keeping him in your room...you are not teaching him to be confident, have a feeling of safety, be brave or self reliant. It's ok if he wakes up in the middle of the night and needs a reassuring hug. But by keeping him with you...you are never going to teach him independence.

I know it sounds cruel, but let him cry about it and keep taking him in his room (without a discussion...actions speak louder than words). Just lovingly lead him to his room 200 times until he knows you are not giving up. Stay outside his door, until he's almost asleep. If you do this for 1 week....he'll be fine, forever. I'm sure. ;)
    Good luck.
    pattyshukla

Answer by pattyshukla at 11:37 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Its not him that has a problem, its me! I dont want him to sleep anywhere else but with me... I just need to somehow suck it up and get him back in his own bed. Hes been sleeping in his our room and his own bed since the day he was born. First his crib until 15months then his "big boy" bed. I think Im going to try sleeping in his room for awhile then work my way out... Thanks
    kiansmom0423

Comment by kiansmom0423 (original poster) at 10:57 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• He will be 3 in April.
    kiansmom0423

Comment by kiansmom0423 (original poster) at 10:58 AM on Oct. 17, 2010