Have you ever Imagined an Occupied America?

While looking for answers to another question I cam across this from Ron Paul..thought it was interesting...

The reality is that our military presence on foreign soil is as offensive to the people that live there as armed Chinese troops would be if they were stationed in Texas. We would not stand for it here, but we have had a globe-straddling empire and a very intrusive foreign policy for decades that incites a lot of hatred and resentment toward us.

According to our own CIA, our meddling in the Middle East was the prime motivation for the horrific attacks on 9/11. But instead of reevaluating our foreign policy, we have simply escalated it. We had a right to go after those responsible for 9/11, to be sure, but why do so many Americans feel as if we have a right to a military presence in some 160 countries when we wouldn't stand for even one foreign base on our soil, for any reason?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 8:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• Sweet, I think the point you're making is interesting (OMG, I've agreed with you twice in one week. I think I need to make sure I still have my conservative card lol). Anyway, I have often wondered why we have such a large presence overseas and if it is really necessary. I may be wrong, but I don't think any country has a military base here, yet we have them all over the globe. I asked my husband why that is (he's big into foreign policy), and in a nutsehll, America has positioned herself to be the perceived peacekeeper. Is it our responsibility? I don't know. The Middle East seems so volatile at times so having a presence there doesn't surprise or bother me, but I'm not sure about the rest of the world. You've given me something to think about so now I must go research. lol
    Journey311

Answer by Journey311 at 9:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• There is a reason we are where we are. If any of those countries really wanted us to go home they would request it. We have no legal right to stay if asked to leave. Obviously the governments fell there is a reason for us to be there. If the people of those countries don't want is there they will have to take it up with their own government officials,
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes I have, and it's not a good thought. Have you ever thought of what it would be like to live under a dictatorship and be unable to voice the opinions you do now? I've thought about those things as well. Neither is a desirable situation.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 9:18 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Yes, conservatives like a strong military. I, for one, think we should be worried about our own shores and our own borders.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 11:05 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• laughing

tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 10:05 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• 71 Percent Of Iraqis Want U.S. Forces To Withdraw Within A Year'"

***

Yeah, well, I clicked on the "full report" at the bottom of your link, which is the BASIS for your comments/opinion...and, not surprisingly, the cover page of this 22 page PDF document states that this report or "demand for withdrawl" was not only written by "World Public Opinion.org" in conjunction with "Program on International Policy Attitutdes "PIPA," BUT it was finalized on September 27, 2006!!

I think this had more to do with this ACADEMIC group disliking BUSH, more than the issues at hand!!  I guess Obama didn't read the document as he has followed through on Bush's timetable! :o)

By the way....who cares WHAT other countries think of us?!  I don't think very highly of some other countries, do you think THEY care?!

LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:24 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• And as for the United States "occupying" other countries....there is a HUGE difference between being a PRESENCE in support of PEACE, than being a presence that RAPES, TORTURES and PILLAGES!!!

Please list for me the NEGATIVES surrounding a United States PRESENCE in other countries?! I'll wait. :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 11:28 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• It's not the law to look like Steve Erkel.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 12:43 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• Those are good questions....and yes, I have thought about it, but have come to no solid conclusions
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 9:01 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Shortly after 9/11 I thought of this, became very frightened, and then quickly ignored the thought.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 9:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010