How can I get my MIL to understand that my 3 yo needs to take naps?

Without fail, my DD will come home from m MIL and DD will not have taken a nap. MIL claims that DD "didn't want to nap" so she doesn't enforce my quiet time rule (at least 1 hour of quiet time in her room).
So how would you approach her about this?

NHGal

Asked by NHGal at 9:08 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Is it really that big of a deal? One day? Spending time with grandma and so she's a little tired. Grandma's want and need time with their grand children. Let her be spoiled and loved and enjoyed and all those yummy good things that goes with grandma and grandpa. Pick you battles and be really happy that you've been blessed with a woman who loves your daughter and wants to spend time with her.
    Lifes-A-Dance

Answer by Lifes-A-Dance at 9:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Do what I did: Sit her down and just tell her nicely that your the momma and you would eppreciate it very much if she enforce your quiet time rule at her house. Unfortunately for me that didnt work so I went to my hubby and told him wha was going on and asked him to talk to her. Good luck! I hope it works out for u! :)
    KaylynnsMommie2

Answer by KaylynnsMommie2 at 9:12 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't know. Personally my DD doesn't really nap anymore unless she gives herself one (which is seldom). (she'll be three in dec). I'm not going to enforce something that isn't necessary for my child at her age. She gets a solid 12 hours of sleep at night, so like I said, it's not necessary for her. BUT that's my kid. Every kid is different and some still need a nap until they are 4 or 5.
    Does it effect her schedule when you get her back? Or is she just a little cranky that day? If it isn't effecting her schedule I would let it go, but if it is, talk with MIL about why it's effecting her schedule and try to work out ways you can both benefit from your child taking her naps.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 9:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• if it were at my house I would be upset but if she is visiting her it's her turf..if it is only 1 day let it go...now if it were a weekend or week that would be a different story
    coolchic320

Answer by coolchic320 at 9:26 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Is your DD out of sorts if she didn't get that nap? If she isn't I wouldn't make a big deal out of it. I never made my DD stick to a nap schedule when she'd spend a day at the grandparents. It was her fun day out. If she napped, she napped, if she didn't, she didn't.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 9:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• My 3 year old stop taking naps altogether hen he turned 3 years old. I would like for him to take one but he doesnt have a problem falling asleep so at this point IDK, but you should tell her that's your baby not hers. You are that childs mother & what you say goes.
    ~*~Holli~*~
    MsWood729

Answer by MsWood729 at 9:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010