do u have problems getting ur toddler to stay in bed

my dd will not stay in bed. i tuck her in (do our routine). turn the hallway light on. tell her she will be in trouble if she gets up. and i keep with it, if i see her out of bed, i take her back, and take away something she likes. but it doesnt work. she usually does this for about an hr.

Phippsandrea

Asked by Phippsandrea at 9:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I know EXACTLY how you feel!! When we switched my son from his crib to toddler bed, the change was great!! He slept good in the bed and everything. After a couple of months, he wouldn't stay in bed. He is now in a big bed and he still does the same thing. I have taken toys away, sat outside the door for hours to make sure he doesn't get out of bed, you name it!! I don't know what else to do. I thought we were the only ones with this problem too!!!
    alyssamal

Answer by alyssamal at 9:49 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I used to keep my eldest in bed by putting a baby gate in his doorway. It kept him in his room and bed.
    bjane01

Answer by bjane01 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my son sleeps in bed with me and we go to bed together, so no i dont. sometimes he falls asleep first and i stay up, but then hes sleeping so no i still dont have that problem.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 9:20 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• well I dont have a toddler but I did help rais my niec and nephew cause they lived with us. At first I would lay down the first couple of nights with them If they got up I would threten, they got up again I would fowlow through with it like your doing. One thing I do know is spanking is not the answer but an open hand on the butt is legal. if they get up again threaten to bop, spank, or however you want to put it, and than do it only once on the but the next time twice the next time three times and so forth. than if she dosent listen stand her up in the corner with no tv till she gets tierd and wants to sleep. one thing I know that helps is limit their nap time and make sure their in bed the exact same time every night.
    EliasMommyDec09

Answer by EliasMommyDec09 at 9:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I have to lay/sit with both of mine one after the other until they fall asleep or yes it's a game of up and down!
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 10:11 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Oh my, my little girl doesn't stay in her bed as I like her to do. I just finally put her in her toddler bed after a year of her sleeping in my bed. She's fine with it most of the night. But middle of the night, sometimes she will cry or try to get out of the bed. I try not to get a habit of holding her until she falls sleep.
    Bubbles_mommy

Answer by Bubbles_mommy at 10:50 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• You could try the Supernanny technique of sitting on the floor near the door with your back to the bed. When the child gets up you say nothing and put them back in the bed. Stay calm and loving. It can take awhile and a few nights but supposedly works. GL!!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 11:10 AM on Oct. 17, 2010