hOW DO i TRY TO GET THROUGH TO MY 2 YEAR OLD

My daughter is 2 and i have a 9 mth old as well her sister.. She has gotten into the habbit of pushing , slapping, and kicking.
My husband and I tryed time outs , and we do not believe in spanking at all so what else is there that will get a 2 year olds attention when it comes to disapline?

Mikayla-Grace

Asked by Mikayla-Grace at 2:13 AM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I taught preschool for over 6 years before my son was born. All time out does is give them a chance to think about what they are going to do to that person once they get out.

Let the punishment fit the crime..meaning, if the child draws on the walls then they get to clean it up. In this case, hitting can mean the child is taken away from the area where everyone else is and not allowed to be there for a short time. Then you can reintroduce them back to the situation after explaing that any hitting will get them immediated removed once again from favorite person, toy, etc. Whatever you choose to do though, keep it consistant.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 7:48 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• first of all, time out dont work! i think if u dont want to spank her then be persistant with her by telling her no with a igh pitch voice and pulling her away constantly.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 2:18 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would try complamenting her when she is playing nice with her sister and say something like oooo you are play so nice,this is the way you should always and have fun.and she may have picked up these bad habits from seeing it.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 2:30 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• And momangel is right there too. Catch your child being good as well and comment how good they are playing together, or how well they are doing whatever it is they are doing. Put in as much postive as you can.
    LisaAC

Answer by LisaAC at 7:50 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• first of all, time out dont work! i think if u dont want to spank her then be persistant with her by telling her no with a igh pitch voice and pulling her away constantly. First of all maybe time outs didn't work for this poster, but that doesn't mean they don't work! I have a 4 and 7 year old and time outs worked great for me. Often when dealing with a 2 year old that doesn't have a good grasp on communication skills yet they will get frustrated and be physical. cont.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 9:45 AM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Cont What worked with my son was if talking isn't working or he can't find the words he needs to get me to help with what is bothering him. I took patients but try not to punish your little one for not having being able to communicate the way older kids and grown up do. Work with her on using her words and try to be supportive and intervine. I promised my son if he got me instead of hitting or pushing his sister when frustrated with her I would always help him when she was making him frustrated. Worked like a charm you just have to be consistant. The only time he hit or pushed her was when it took me to long to get there and help.
    norbert

Answer by norbert at 9:46 AM on Oct. 28, 2008