How do you respond or deal with 11 mo old starting to throw little fits every time we change her pants or do something she doesn't like?

For example, when she has to go into her car seat she starts to arch her back and pretend cry. My initial response is to want to laugh at her but I know that isn't good so I just try to ignore her and keep moving.

SheridansMom

Asked by SheridansMom at 9:30 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I ignored my lil guy when he did that with the car seat, but he's gotten better. On the changing table I try to constantly find something small to give him to play with while I change him. Right now its a baby food jar full of safety pins. Scary, I know, but it is closed super tight and I am right there. I keep it out of reach otherwise.
    donnareedonLSD

Answer by donnareedonLSD at 9:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my daughter used to arch her back and cry when we'd put her in her seat. she wasn't "pretending to cry" she was trying to talk. and usually it was when she had painful gas and sitting in that position hurt her. don't ignore her, try talking to her and telling her why she needs to be in there, even when she starts to cry. talk to her calmly and every time you do anything, talk your way through it. the calmer you are, the calmer she'll become. it may take a week or so of this talking talking talking, but she'll realize that you care enough to try and she'll have a better vocabulary too. if you ignore it she'll assume you can't hear her and get louder and clingier.
    LunaB

Answer by LunaB at 10:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I just talk about what I think they are feeling and don't react strongly to it. "I know you don't want to get in your car seat right now, but we need to go to the store" or "It is no fun to have to stop playing to get your diaper changed, but you need clean pants! Do you want to hold this car while we do it?"
    This is the only way your LO can express himself right now, it is frustrating to feel so strongly but you can't talk! It is important to not react strongly (either by laughing or punishing). Your role right now is to guide them to the next step where they will be able to talk.
    maggiemom2000

Answer by maggiemom2000 at 12:07 AM on Oct. 17, 2010

• my daughter is only 10 months and she is "pitching her little fits" already! i just talk her through it to calm her down and look at my husband like "do u see this" lol
    luzianagurl

Answer by luzianagurl at 2:08 PM on Oct. 17, 2010

• thats all you can do, is just act like you dont see her. Or you could copy her, my oldest son Braydin hated that and after a few of my own hissy fits he was like forget this, my dad even chimed in a few times with his own fits. BUT DONT LAUGH AT YOURSELF, then its goin to backfire! But be just as loud.
    adyssonsmommy

Answer by adyssonsmommy at 3:45 PM on Oct. 17, 2010