What do you think of....

Christians who choose to remain friends with atheists and other non believers?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:34 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Isn't it the Christian thing to do, to be friends with everyone and except differnces?
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 9:35 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't know....I'm beginning to think it gives some the opportunity to "pray" about others so that they can feel self righteous. And simply so that they can spread the word, and make us "better people".
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Anyone (Christian or otherwise) who allows religious beliefs to mean more than actions or personality when making friends is simply immature in my opinion. Friends don't need to agree on everything, and learning to see past things like gender, color and religion is something we are all SUPPOSED to learn when we are growing up... Unfortunately, some of us can't seem to master that lesson regardless of how old they are.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:39 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• um... i think they're normal...
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 9:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I am happy to count Christians among my friends. Obviously, if my friends judged me and couldn't get past our religious differences, they wouldn't really be my friends--so those I count among my friends are open-minded and open-hearted to differences. I love them.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:54 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Me too jsbenkert. My friends IRL are all christians and the most wonderful people I know. But then I come here and I am shocked at the things "christians" say about "non believers". It makes me question christians in general. Thank goodness my friends IRL are a much better example of their faith!
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 9:59 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't think there's anything wrong with being friends with people of other faiths. I am Christian, you don't have to be. If I feel lead to I might pray for you, but I'm not going to harp at you, no one wants to hear that.
    scout_mom

Answer by scout_mom at 10:10 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• They are people too just like the rest of us. If we are true christians we will follow Jesus example and talk with people of all walks of life. Also, you learn from diversity and from looking at things from anothers perspective whether they are right or wrong.
    dgall3

Answer by dgall3 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Oops, I completely misread your question, I honestly thought it said "refrain from being friends" - wow, dyslexia and pregnancy brain strike again! Sorry, but my answer is really the same, just not in the same exact words...

Friendship is about connections on a personal level, it's about loving someone for WHO they are and what they prove to be, not what they may or may not believe. Many times our beliefs are our reason for acting or doing something, but that doesn't mean our actions would be any different if we were of a different faith. Christians, Jews, Pagans, Atheists and most other groups tend to have the same beliefs surrounding things such as violence, theft and respect... It's a person's actions which make them who they are and determine friendship, not who they pray to.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:31 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I don't think anything. I think it's fine for people to be friends with others of all religions or belief systems.
    LovingSAHMommy

Answer by LovingSAHMommy at 10:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010