Would you be comfortable eating fish from the recently re-opened areas of the Gulf?

WASHINGTON (AFP) – The US government reopened nearly 30 percent of federal waters in the Gulf of Mexico that were closed to fishing following the BP oil spill after tests showed that seafood there is safe to eat.

Tourists and consumers should know most Gulf waters are open for fishing and seafood from these waters is safe to eat."

Tuna, swordfish and mahi mahi were sampled from the area between August 7 and September 18 "with sensory analysis finding no detectable oil or dispersant odors or flavors, and results of chemical analysis for oil-related compounds well below the levels of concern," NOAA said.

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 9:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 9:51 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• no, but I will not know unless I only buy from our local fish market. It sells only right off the boats here.
    tootoobusy

Answer by tootoobusy at 9:53 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I never did stop eating it. I'm on the TX coast and I was never worried about where the seafood came from.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 10:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• at first i was gonna say yes., but then i remembered they said nature is renewing itself all the time, and that bacteria was dissolving some of it, so id eat the seafood
    silverelf

Answer by silverelf at 10:07 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Absolutely.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 10:17 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• momof030404

Answer by momof030404 at 10:44 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• yup just ate some...yum
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 10:47 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• hell no.

bacteria consumed the OIL not the dispersant, which is highly toxic.
    The label for Corexit notifies the user that it will irritate eyes and skin if it comes in contact with them, and warns that it is not to be inhaled and could harm red blood cells, kidney or liver if swallowed.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 10:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• No but I don't live on that coast.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 10:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Honestly? No. Probably not for a long time.
    lega2131

Answer by lega2131 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010