what are your thought's on using a child harness?

my dh's aunt bought one for me to use on my dd, Needless to say i am not going to use it, i think it was nice of her but she should have asked me before she bought it, it's not that i am against using them , but my dd prefers to sit in the cart when we go to the mall, and if we go for walks, she likes to hold my hand. I just wanted to know what your opinion was on them!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:55 PM on Oct. 16, 2010 in General Parenting

• i dont care..if my dd was un rurally i would use one,
    Lovin_mybaby5

Answer by Lovin_mybaby5 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• One saved my son's life... So I highly endorse them. I remember being a kid, and having to hold my mom's hand while we walked the mall... by the end my hand was numb and my arm hurt all the way home. The harness is a teaching tool, it teaches children to walk WITH the parent without having to hold their hand every moment, which when you have multiple children is something you can't always do. And it prevents children from running off if and when they have a "typical child moment." While walking my sons in to an appointment, I was carrying my new born and all the baggage that comes with children and trying to hang on to my oldest son (2 at the time) thankfully, he had a harness on because he took off. Without the harness, there is no way I could have held on to him, he would have ended up in the middle of main street traffic, and I would have been helpless to stop it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:04 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• LIFE SAVER! My daughter is very quick and my son doesn't walk yet. So I have to carry him but she is so fast she'll slip out of my hand and be in the streets before I could blink. I started using it after I had ankle surgery. I can't really chase her on crutches.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:02 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I think they are a great idea. I had mine around my waist and that helped the kiddos walk freely and safely leaving my hands free.
    QandA

Answer by QandA at 10:06 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• my son has one its a backpack so it looks like he has a monkey on his back....people look at me like im crazy but until they see how fast my son runs dont judge im looking out for him and his safety
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 11:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• we have 4 kids 7 and younger and one on the way, and in big military functions, they are a life saver!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 11:24 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• i just bought one that is a little backpack so it looks like a toy for her. she alreayd put it on and she loves it. so i look forward to using it. not sure how far i will get with it but i will only use it in maybe store or something. but i probably wont use it much but i always thought i would never get one but my toddler is fast and sometimes you need something.
    lambdarose

Answer by lambdarose at 10:16 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I had one for my son, but only used it in worst case scenarios- at amusement parks, when walking down a crowded street in the city. He never liked it much, but has a habit of running off. It depends on your child- mine has poor impulse control and HATES holding hands. If you have a child with a calmer demeanor you may never see a use for it.
    Annabel1809Lee

Answer by Annabel1809Lee at 10:22 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• Love love love mine! My 16 month old is a wanderer who hates being in cart/stroller. She will hold your hand for maybe 5 minutes. It lets her walk around, but still allows me to give her direction which is nice. I understand the feelings from both ends, I thought they were silly until I had a toddler and realized that not all of them are well behaved!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 10:36 PM on Oct. 16, 2010

• I only have one child but I have already thought about it. :) We dont go anywhere where I really feel it would be necessary though. He sits in the cart at the store and holds hands in between...plus he loves his stroller. I might change my mind when this next baby is here...
    jenellemarie

Answer by jenellemarie at 11:14 PM on Oct. 16, 2010